Strange Indian Head

doublet2a

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2007
Lindsay, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite 5", 8" & 10" coils. EXP II 8" & 10" coils with inline Sunray pin pointer. AT Pro 8" & 10" Coils, Equinox 600 10" and 5" coils.

Attachments

• DSC03234.JPG
    DSC03234.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 586
  • DSC03235.JPG
    DSC03235.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 575
  • DSC03236.JPG
    DSC03236.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 567
DD-777 said:
If the IH is recessed, I would think someone melted whatever that material is onto the penny to make a "negative" image of it. Pretty cool regardless... :thumbsup:

During the Northern War of Agression (1861-1865) merchants often issued trade tokens based on the Indian Head Penny and gave them their customers as change when their was a shortage of coins during the War of Southern Rebellion, often a small emcased postage stamps served as money too! Maybe the penny was found in a burned home destroyed by Quantrail's Raiders? Never know? Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California

Upvote 0
Well, the image is reversed...

So some sort of metal was indeed melted Onto the coin to make a "negative image" of it.  Wonder what kind of metal it is...  How does it read on your detector?

Cool find! 

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
DD-777 said:
If the IH is recessed, I would think someone melted whatever that material is onto the penny to make a "negative" image of it. Pretty cool regardless... :thumbsup:
I think you're on to something, DD-777. It looks as though someone melted a bit of lead onto an Indian cent to produce a negative, possibly to later pour type of molten metal into the mold and produce a duplicate?

Awesome find, either way! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
af1733 said:
DD-777 said:
I think you're on to something, DD-777. It looks as though someone melted a bit of lead onto an Indian cent to produce a negative, possibly to later pour type of molten metal into the mold and produce a duplicate?

Unless that lead has been polished it isn't as old as the coin it was poured onto. If it was, it'd be oxidized.

So my guess is that it wasn't done to create a duplicate, counterfeit, or fake...but rather out of boredom.

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
af1733 said:
DD-777 said:

Unless that lead has been polished it isn't as old as the coin it was poured onto. If it was, it'd be oxidized.

So my guess is that it wasn't done to create a duplicate, counterfeit, or fake...but rather out of boredom.
Would it depend on where the lead was found? If it wasn't exposed to the elemetns, would it still oxidize white?

doublet2a, did you dig this hunk 'o lead?

Upvote 0
Yes I did dig it, and I cleaned the face, was full of crud.

Tim

Upvote 0
I think DD-777 hit this one right on the head.Very nice find looks great it is still a Indian head :icon_king:

fortbball9

Upvote 0
Guess I'll have to mark this one solved
Good I.D. Arron, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I imagine a 100 yr. old milk dud would be like lead now
Going this Saturday with your new E-trac??

Tim
1.gif

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back