Strange coins, help me with value.

camwham

Aug 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a really strange nickel today. It is a 1942 nickel with no mint mark, seems normal right? But when I took it too my local coin shop they told me it was silver, with the same metal composition as a wartime nickel.

Today I also found a quarter from 1972 in Philadelphia's mint that had a strange, very large S on the right side of Washington's head on the obverse side. What is this?

Upvote 0
Not completely sure what you're saying on the nickel, but wartime nickels had mint marks on the reverse above the dome.

A pic of the quarter might help with getting an explanation. Possibly a counter stamp.

The nickel is an error where there was never a mint mark printed, but it has the wartime metal composition.

Thank you for the info on the quarter, I was pretty sure that's what it was, but I just wanted to make sure.

The nickel is an error where there was never a mint mark printed, but it has the wartime metal composition. Thank you for the info on the quarter, I was pretty sure that's what it was, but I just wanted to make sure.
And how exactly were they able to determine that the composition was silver? As stated before it should not contain any silver, I've never heard of this error of it is one unless it is similar to a Henning Nickel

I haven't seen a reference to any errors in the "Wartime" nickel series - specifically 35% silver with no mint mark above Monticello.
As to the quarter I'm confused by your stating that it is of a Philadelphia mint - yet it has an over sized S on the obverse . Why
do you associate the coin with Philadelphia ?

Maybe post some pics if you have any. The 42 nickel appears to be a pre wartime composition of standard metal content.
On the quarter we can only guess until we get pics. It could simply be a stamp someone did after the coin was minted

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back