Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one that I found a couple of years ago and I don't even know if the picture is right side up. I think it is Arabic writing of some type and it is about the size of a dime.Most of the other coins found in this area were from the late 1700s or early1800s but I have less then a clue on this one.Thanks for any help. :) If some one can ID this thing for me I will send you a Mercury dime. ;)

Attachments

• Jan29#03arobic.jpg
    Jan29#03arobic.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 520
  • Jan29#04arobic2.jpg
    Jan29#04arobic2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 514
Without an image, but I'm still working on it. :D

The AH 1304 (1887) 1 Cent Coin
This coin has on the obverse a star inside a circle with an Arabic inscription outside. The reverse has 1 inside a circle with SULTANATE OF BRUNEI 1304.

Upvote 0
Charlie ,very nice ID ! I had no clue.Any Idea of what country its from? Send me your address in a PM and I will send the Merc. :)

Upvote 0
Appreciate the offer but hold off. I'm not sure yet and the game is still afoot. ;)

Upvote 0
A token was the first thing that popped into my mind when I dug it two years ago but being in Arabic ,I have no I dea what it says.It was found on a Napoleonic campsite and I know Napoleon invaded Egypt but I could not be that lucky to have found a coin or token brought back by one of his troops.LOL That's the fun of every thing ,finding out the history or the story. ;D

Upvote 0
Brunei & Morocco both have a recurring five pointed star on their coins.

What can be really hard to track down is that many coffee, tea and other colonial companies operating in distant countries had their own tokens and coins for employees.

Upvote 0
Good luck with this one

Upvote 0
Mackaydon , there are tiny stars outside the ring on both sides of the coin. I may have the coin upside down or side ways . ??? ;D

Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
An amulet or talisman?

Could be right as the hole looks too well made for a later punched effort.

Upvote 0
Maybe some kind of good luck token thingy. I wish I could get a better pic but that is about as good as I can manage.

Upvote 0
birdman said:
Maybe some kind of good luck token thingy. I wish I could get a better pic but that is about as good as I can manage.

I think PBK was right until I pushed the limits of tnet humour (now delete). No offence meant PBK, sorry.

Could be a belly dancer type decoration.

Upvote 0
;)

As I posted yesterday, it reminds me of the faux Arabic/Islamic coins often seen on Middle Eastern costume jewelry and attire, including those belly dancer outfits.

Not the same coins, obviously, but here's the sort of thing I'm talking about. Faux coins were actually preferred, not only because they were far cheaper but also because they weigh much less and were therefore more comfortable to wear.

TRI2_SIL2.jpg

Upvote 0
PBK, those are about the right size ! You may have it. I will run across some one who speaks Arabic this summer so maybe they can translate it for me. The search continues. ;)

Upvote 0
birdman said:
PBK, those are about the right size ! You may have it. I will run across some one who speaks Arabic this summer so maybe they can translate it for me. The search continues. ;)

They probably read PBK is King ;)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back