107.2 KB · Views: 610
  • lllllllllllllllllllllllll.JPG
    lllllllllllllllllllllllll.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 612
  • bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.JPG
    bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 581
Not very good with these...

but the back (reverse) is a trireme. The Hadrian I looked up the ship was facing the other way. Anyhow, some Mediterranean coin, and kinda old. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
:hello:

It looks very much like a Roman Bronze coin of Tiberius :P

SS

Upvote 0
i think that is common Mark Antony galley probably with Cleopatra or some goddess.

Upvote 0
roman age type coin from long ago -- odd that you found it usa? --- it was in the usa right? --- if so check closer -- those coins normally are in peoples "coin collections" thus they shoulde not be found out in the public --unless some one "jacked" a coin collection and dumped the coins that they could not sell for "melt" silver scrap
---check that area out very closely in any event

Upvote 0
LaZoOro said:
i think that is common Mark Antony galley probably with Cleopatra or some goddess.

Agree some one like Mark Anthony, its definately Roman 1st Century BC but outside my area of interest.

Upvote 0
Having been found in the US I'd be more inclined to believe that it is just one of those cheap "copy" coins that has deteriorated significantly. Maybe it was part of a piece of jewelry or a good luck token for someone.

Upvote 0
mts said:
Having been found in the US I'd be more inclined to believe that it is just one of those cheap "copy" coins that has deteriorated significantly. Maybe it was part of a piece of jewelry or a good luck token for someone.

No its the real deal, lost but a collectors kid most likely. It has very little value.

Upvote 0
Considering the condition, how can you tell it's the real deal and not a copy of the real deal?

Upvote 0
mts said:
Considering the condition, how can you tell it's the real deal and not a copy of the real deal?

By finding 1193 Roman Bronze coins, last year alone.

Upvote 0
Well ok then! :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
mts said:
Well ok then! :icon_thumleft:

Thats OK, I was going to say experience but I thought I would quanity. Many copies have been posted on here, but generally they are the reverse of this, ie. too good a condition :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
copy coins past a certain time by law --must have "copy" marked on them --this was done to prevent folks from making "counterfiet" antique coins --and passing them off as "real" since counterfieting laws generally apply to modern money of today --not long dead cultures or no longer "current" money

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
copy coins past a certain time by law --must have "copy" marked on them --this was done to prevent folks from making "counterfiet" antique coins --and passing them off as "real" since counterfieting laws generally apply to modern money of today --not long dead cultures or no longer "current" money

true but we know the fakes drop through the net, or copies made in less restricted countries

Upvote 0
yes "fakes" are the bane of collectors --I'm thinking a kid playing with some of his daddys coins or a heisted coin collection --stripped of silver that can be easily sold off and the rest "dumped" --I as a child found just such a "collection" once --pop turned it in to the cops --90 days later --I had the beginnings of a "coin collection"

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back