✅ SOLVED Strange Clamp found at Civil War/Indian Wars Camp

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Here is something I have never found. It appears to be some sort of clamp device made from iron. It measures approximately 4-1/2" in length and when in the "open" position measures approximately 3-3/4" in diameter. It was found at and early Indian Wars/Civil war era encampment and dug from a trash pit. There appears to be a name and date (1838? 1868?) stamped on the item. Any ideas....some sort of medical device possibly?
20180502_171441.jpg20180502_170913.jpg20180502_170904.jpg20180502_170923.jpg20180502_171131.jpg

I can't find a picture of one like that but I think I know what it is. The clue is "Indian Wars".

I believe it is a surgical tool to help remove arrows from wounded soldiers.

The center shaft is slipped into the wound along the arrow shaft with the 'clamp' in the closed position.

Once the instrument reaches the trailing edge of the arrowhead, the device is spread open to allow the surgeon to remove the arrow without causing additional damage to the surrounding tissue.

Still searching for a picture...

Upvote 0
On further reading, I think the dilator on the device is too wide for use in arrow wounds.

I still think it is a surgical dilator of some sort, though.

Upvote 0
Matt. I called 5 because of the flat top compared to the known 8

OK, I can see that... But it looks like a closed loop on the bottom half of the digit. :dontknow:

1848 or 1845. Either way, I can't find a pic of anything remotely close to the relic.

So are we assuming it's a patent date?

Also, I'm assuming the item is made of brass. Can the OP please confirm? Brass or other metal?

Upvote 0
This is interesting.
I got lost in searching, without any reliable results.

Canning jar tool ... ?
Piston ring expander / compressor ... ?
Foot activated weed puller ... ?

I hope someone comes up with an answer on this.

Upvote 0
The item is made from iron. All other relics dug from the pit date from 1850's. I have the same questions posted to Mark Parker at Western and Eastern Treasures. Once I find out the answer to this mystery device I'll be sure to share! Thanks all for the guesses!

Upvote 0
Nice work and rare find Ifyndit! Congrats and best wishes!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back