Strange bullets and pick

Arthur-Canada

Apr 4, 2007
I was out the other day detecting in the forest and hit on a really strange collection of bullets. 8 of these bullets were found in the same hole down about 6 inches and as deep as most of the musket balls found in that forest (just on top of the clay/sand layer below the topsoil). The one on the right with the rings on it was found later in a different spot. They look like some sort of musket bullet, but with a flat head and rifling on the outside of the bullet. I don't think they would have been shot already because how could they all end up together in the same hole?

Also found this strange looking pick in that forest a while back. The handle appears to be solid brass or copper as well as the shaft part. On the underside it says "3/4 15 20". I thought it might be something used to clean out the hole on the musket under the flintlock, but the number stamping is very precise suggesting something newer than war of 1812 era.

Attachments

• bullets1.JPG
    bullets1.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 615
  • bullets2.JPG
    bullets2.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 613
  • bullets3.JPG
    bullets3.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 711
  • pik1.JPG
    pik1.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 805
All modern wad cutter bullets,that's been shot.Looks like in the 30 cal. range 32-38etc.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Attachments

• wadcutter-round[1].jpg
    wadcutter-round[1].jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 2,113
  • wadcutter-bullets[1].jpg
    wadcutter-bullets[1].jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,023
  • imagesCAKILNOD.jpg
    imagesCAKILNOD.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,608
Upvote 0
The bullets are hollow-base wadcutters used for target pistol shooting. 1930's to present.

I don't think they would have been shot already because how could they all end up together in the same hole?

Good shooting. :D

The pick. Much harder to say. If the shaft diameter is 1/16" or maybe 5/64" then it could be a vent pick, but usually they lack a large handle and invariably have a way to attach them to a chain or string. But not always. Could also be an oil applicator (top was the bottle plug). I don't have a guess at this time. Possibly some kind of alignment tool.

Upvote 0
May have been a snake on the ground & they wanted to make sure it was dead. ;D :laughing7: Or like me & just get bored & shoot for no reason. ;D :laughing9:

Upvote 0
lead bolt anchors?

Attachments

• imagesCA7WMDRW.jpg
    imagesCA7WMDRW.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 908
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 435
Upvote 0
That was my first thought also Dan...but they would have holes all the way through. I believe they are right...wadcutter bullets...you can see the rifleing.

Upvote 0
Doesn't really looks like a used bullet. Why would a bullet have three areas of rifling marks with no twist? I would lean towards some type of anchor or plug also.

Upvote 0
as for anchors, you can see the flair at one end on some of them, though, I have yet seen any like them in my line line of day work--- da Prof

Upvote 0
I wonder what those grooves (or whatever) that run about 3/4's of the way up them? May be a clue there to the mystery

Upvote 0
The one on the far right has grooves and those are called gas checks they are usually filled with grease of some type to help keep the barrel from fouling. The other "lines" are cannelure's and are used for seating the bullet in the brass case when they are reloaded. They are bullets...d2

Upvote 0
digging wv said:
Doesn't really looks like a used bullet. Why would a bullet have three areas of rifling marks with no twist? I would lean towards some type of anchor or plug also.

The "rings" or grooves are knurling for lube. These are swaged - not cast - and have been so since the 1930's.

Trust me, I buy them in boxes of 500 and have fired thousands and thousands of these. They are hollow-based wadcutter bullets.

DSCN0252.jpg

PS = the rod shown earlier could be a burnisher for hand plane and wood scraper blades.

Upvote 0
Charley P is absolutely correct. The bullets are swagged from pure lead with the marks that are there to hold bullet lube so they won't lead up the barrel of the gun. They are usually fired at lower than normal velocity ergo they don't get deformed as much. Monty

Upvote 0
Charlie P. (NY) said:
The pick. Much harder to say. If the shaft diameter is 1/16" or maybe 5/64" then it could be a vent pick, but usually they lack a large handle and invariably have a way to attach them to a chain or string. But not always. Could also be an oil applicator (top was the bottle plug). I don't have a guess at this time. Possibly some kind of alignment tool.

I cleaned up this "pick" device and discovered something written around the rim at the top of the plug (--- NUPRO ---). On the underside where the pick part comes out it clearly says "3/4" then "15 20". The whole unit is definitely brass.

Upvote 0
Might be some part of a valve as that's what comes up when looking for (--- NUPRO ---). :icon_scratch: The bullets are bullets (wadcutters).No doubt.

Attachments

• 767925[1].jpg
    767925[1].jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 269
  • 785351[1].jpg
    785351[1].jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 1657515859[1].jpg
    1657515859[1].jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 237
  • images[6].jpg
    images[6].jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 748
  • imagesCAVKN7KR.jpg
    imagesCAVKN7KR.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 706
  • Leadheads148DEWCs[1].jpg
    Leadheads148DEWCs[1].jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 449
Upvote 0
Well gosh dang time killer, you are a little late! But thanks for the pictures. Monty

Upvote 0
No, I thought of it first, just didn't post it first. What's the matter, can't you read minds? :laughing7: My goof, I was misreading the earlier plosts I guess? Or I am nuts. Probably the later! M :help: nty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back