strange bone and possible clay marble?

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found these creek hunting wondering if anyone has seen or know what I'm looking at. The one looks like some kind of vertebrae maybe, but has 5 cuts through it which looks somewhat modern, but Not sure off the top of my head what would make those lines. The other looks like bone, it has porous spots and has a hollow part, but feels like a rock. Last looks like a marble of some kind heavy for its size, but not perfectly rounded or smoothed, looks like some sort of clay/ceramic material...most certainly not a rock.

20150727_160352.jpg20150727_161735.jpg20150727_171703.jpg

They don't look like bone to me. If you were in Florida I would say coral. Probably just rocks.

Upvote 0
It certainly looks like a clay marble - as opposed to a mill ball.

The other smaller piece might be bone but would need closer examination.

This item looks particularly interesting
bone.jpg

It has obviously been worked by a human hand. It might be worth posting in the North American Artifacts Forum.

I don't think it looks like a vertebrae but rather the end of a leg bone. Is the open end a hollow scoop or is the whole thing hollow?

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
NEAT MARBLE . CANT UNDERSTAND THE CUT OR SLICE MARKS . IS THAT A BONE OR A STONE ? CANT REALLY TELL.

Upvote 0
I think that is a clay shooter marble, CoNgRaTs...:). That's a clay game marble in the middle of this picture:
CAM01114.jpgCAM01115.jpg

Upvote 0
feels like its bone or wood, my guess is bone, just don't know what would put those cuts like that and the ends are really flat and smoothed, though the smoothness could be from the water.

20150728_083405.jpg20150728_083434.jpg20150728_083450.jpg20150728_083502.jpg20150728_083550.jpg

different angles without the flash.

Upvote 0
Soup bone (or dog chew bone lately). Cow or ox cut with a meat saw - relatively modern.

soup-bones.jpg

Roasted by the looks of yours.

104544d1354942372-no-raw-beef-bones-any-more-cookedbones.jpg

Upvote 0
glass marbles started production mid-late 1800s?, so I'm guessing the clay is around that age or older? Not finding much on clay marbles at the moment other than it could be really old or more recent haha, either way early-mid 1800s is still old.

Upvote 0
thanks charlie, I think you are right. Was thinking saw marks, but why 5 cuts so close together at that angle? seems odd.

Upvote 0
No clue. Perhaps someone started to slice it for buttons? Or just testing a new saw? Or someone needed bone dust to color case harden some steel?

Upvote 0
The soup bone is connected to the leg bone...the leg bone is connected to the ankle bone..

Upvote 0
One of the pics looks like crystal to me.. I like rocks/crystals alot.. at least thats what i see

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Society of the Jesuits for the first bone and maybe the other .Who knows it could be.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back