Stone with mystery marking-- California coast (any theories?)

cantworkthesite

Greenie
Jul 17, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found on the California coast just south of Carmel CA (between Carmel River Beach and Monastery Beach for those familiar with the area). Now I know shoreline rocks with long linear digs in them are not uncommon....but this is not a permanently embedded large size beach rock. Its about the size of a volleyball (of course much heavier and denser) and weighs 10 to 15 pounds or so. Something you can pick up, carry around in other words. So I am puzzled as to the numerous linear marks on this stone. Simply nature? California coastal Indians? Marooned mariners making their own astronomy stone? Though I can't make out anything specific, there does seem to be some rhyme and reason to the lines-- but what, I'm not sure.

Attachments

• rockCB2.jpeg
    rockCB2.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 122
  • rockCB3.jpeg
    rockCB3.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 78
To me, the marks on your rock look to be natural. :thumbsup:
If I'd found it in my part of the country, I would say it looks like glacial scars, could also be plow strikes.

Dave

PS. I'll be in Santa Cruz a week Friday, maybe I'll drive down to see if I can find a souvenir to bring home. :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Thanks Antiquarian-- I never thought about plow strikes. I'll have to see if I can find images of other stones with such strikes. As far as nature, just seems like there wouldn't be enough surface on this stone (a little smaller in diameter than a basketball) for nature to strike so consistently and semi-uniformly. But maybe I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
Thanks Antiquarian-- I never thought about plow strikes. I'll have to see if I can find images of other stones with such strikes. As far as nature, just seems like there wouldn't be enough surface on this stone (a little smaller in diameter than a basketball) for nature to strike so consistently and semi-uniformly. But maybe I could be wrong.

Here's a stone I brought home from a farm field hunt, it was 'glowing yellow' in the early morning sun. :thumbsup:
I used Museum Conservators Wax and a buffing wheel to polish it up... notice the 'plow strikes'.

My wife doesn't appreciate it the way I do, mainly because it now sits on our dining room window sill. :laughing7:
Dave

Attachments

• WP_20161002_15_31_03_Rich (2).jpg
    WP_20161002_15_31_03_Rich (2).jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0
That's pretty cool looks like the rock was knocked around pretty good lol

Upvote 0
That's one unusual looking stone-- are you sure that's not a fossilized prehistoric egg??

Upvote 0
I've wondered about a boat anchor or something... just seems like the boat or anchor or prop would really have to keep consistently keep going across the surface of a stone that's not all that big though.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back