Stone Tool?

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 4" long with a man-made groove in it.
The groove is narrower than a groove from an old quarry drill.

Found in the woods under mysterious circumstances…….

arrow_sharp.jpg

I think it was produced by "Mother Nature" ! ;D

Upvote 0
Looks like concrete.

Upvote 0
Need more Angles and pics of the "Rock" in question. Parts of the item looks Granite, others look like some sort of concretion. :-\
I think someone should call Shaggy!!! :tongue3: :laughing9: Can say I think it could be man made!

Upvote 0
Looks to me like a broken off star chisel bit that was lodged in granite.

image_14029.jpg

Upvote 0
It is not a man-made substance. It is granite.
The brown stains are rust, it was on the edge of a small snowmelt stream with very iron-heavy water.

Scooby was _after_ my time.

I’m very familiar with drill holes used in quarrying, (hammer, feather and pin method). This is a narrower shaft, and not as smooth as a drill hole.

here are some more pics:

asDSCN1013.jpg

asDSCN1015.jpg

asDSCN1016.jpg

asDSCN1017.jpg

Upvote 0
Does not look like an ancient shaft abrader/awl sharpener or anything made by man. I think it is a geo fact.

Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
In that last pic I see what appear to be concentric rings. :icon_scratch:

Mike

Edit: I don't want to mislead any research here, but I was wondering, could it be a fossilized plant material? Otherwise a stalactite - or stalagmite, type thingy :-\
Mike

Upvote 0
If it is granite, it is not a fossil. No fossils in igneous rock. Some Crinoid fossils can look like this..but they are found in sedimentary rock such as siltstone. I believe it is man-made, but cannot tell the age. Cool rock whatsit though!
Elee

Upvote 0
Yes, it is granite.
The interesting part is the groove cut into it. Certainly man-made.

Upvote 0
Why is this something more than a piece of rock that was worked with a drill of unknown size and a portion broke off?
I think we need more info on the statement "Found in the woods under mysterious circumstances" Please.
Broken Knee

Upvote 0
‘bout time someone asked about the mysterious circumstances…

I was hiking in the woods with one of my daughters. We got to a place on the trail and I remembered having a dream the night before, about finding a big chunk of pottery right near where we were standing. I started telling her about it as I stepped over to the spot I had dreamed about, and I reached down and picked up this rock with the man-made groove.

And that’s the story.

Again the drill hole is narrower and not as smooth as the drill holes we find in the granite in this area.

We’ve also found pottery shards in this same spot. This is about ½ mile into the woods.
Anyone here able to ID pottery?

Upvote 0
I can't see the groove, But I'll take your word on it that its man made. Maybe a piece of building facade or plumbing related demolition remains (sink, back splash?).

randazzo1

Upvote 0
menotomymaps said:
‘bout time someone asked about the mysterious circumstances…

I was hiking in the woods with one of my daughters. We got to a place on the trail and I remembered having a dream the night before, about finding a big chunk of pottery right near where we were standing. I started telling her about it as I stepped over to the spot I had dreamed about, and I reached down and picked up this rock with the man-made groove.

And that’s the story.

Again the drill hole is narrower and not as smooth as the drill holes we find in the granite in this area.

We’ve also found pottery shards in this same spot. This is about ½ mile into the woods.
Anyone here able to ID pottery?
Well in looking at your last picture using your finger for scale Id say the diameter of the hole would have been 3/8 to 5/8's witch would led me to believe it was a part off a block intended for a foundation? Are there any in the area or was there possibly quarry near by? Please post pic's of the pottery. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Upvote 0
I have maps of this area going back nearly 300 years.
I’ve checked the Massachusetts Middlesex County Registry of Deeds.
There’s never been a building or foundation or anything within a ½ mile of this spot.
In the early 1700’s it was forest. In the 1800’s it was logged and used for grazing sheep.
There is a ‘supposed’ Native American grinding stone located about 30 yards from where I found this.
And I do believe the grinding stone _is_ a grinding stone, not glacial work. I think I have pix of that, too.
Right now it is under a couple feet of snow.

Hey Randazzo, I have roots with that last name..
Man, the groove is so obvious when you hold it. Maybe not so in a photo.
It is about ¼” round. Smaller than a quarrying drill and smaller than the drill holes people used when putting iron loops into granite for fence gates or even when making things like boot scrapers.
I’ve marked the groove in this next picture:

groove_b.jpg

Upvote 0
Now I see the groove. You could rule out or rule in Native American by posting it in the Indian artifact section. Maybe they have pieces like it from that area. You could go over there and post a link to this thread. They do not get over in this section much. Just an idea to help you out :icon_sunny:
Good luck !

Upvote 0
In New England, early farmers liked their boulders so much that they would blow them up with dynamite.
Drill a hole, insert dynamite, light and run like hell. This could be a fragment. That groove to me looks like only maybe a quarter of the original hole. If you found all the pieces and put them together, the hole size could be about an inch in diameter. A hole for dynamite would be about an inch, a little bigger then for a boulder drilled to be split by wedge and feather.
Just something to think about.

I would also like to see a picture of the nearby grinding stone

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back