NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Solved! A few years ago while I was looking for bottle dumps along the Rouge river, in Edward Hines Park in Livonia, Michigan, I saw this funny looking rock poking out of the riverbank. It looked neat, so I kept it. I thought that it may have had something to do with the indians that used to inhabit this area. The Potawotomi were alledged to have lived or visited this area. And Chief Tonquish was their leader. I have heard from people from time to time that have found arrow heads and spear points all along this river. But, now I am wondering if this tool, hammer, weapon, or whatever I have found, actually was of this tribe or is it older?.........NGE (T)

Attachments

• stone tool.jpg
    stone tool.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 531
  • the bottom.jpg
    the bottom.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 533
  • on its side.jpg
    on its side.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 535
  • another shot on side.jpg
    another shot on side.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 526
  • top side diameter.jpg
    top side diameter.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 512
  • top end.jpg
    top end.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 532
  • tool in hand.jpg
    tool in hand.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 530
It looks like a tool to mash corn and other grain into mill.I have one very similar boxed up somewhere,maybe if i get a chance to find it ,i will send a pic.
Nova Treasure

Upvote 0
SOLVED! Id'd in artifacts forum. It is called a Bell Pestle. They said it was used b4 injuns, and by injuns for grinding grain. They also said it was found in an area where it shouldn't have been, but was not unusual. They also said it was a really nice one and worth about 100 bucks.....NGE (T)

Upvote 0
Yeah I knew what it was for, but just didn't know the proper name.

Congrats on a good find,
Nova Treasure

Upvote 0
I owned an acreage that was once an Indian camp and found what they used for the mortar....a big flat sandstone. It had many indentations where corn was ground but I never found one of those to go with the holes. I was told that the Indians wore their teeth down from chewing the corn with the tiny pieces of grit from the sandstone. Monty

Upvote 0
When I was a kid on the desert in Southern California, in back of our ranch was a small gully/valley where a lot of stones had grinding holes in them, and I mean a lot. Next year when I return I plan on looking again for them. I also found a few of the grinding stones like this one back then, I knew what they were but just left them there, were not important. Also found a number of arrowheads laying on the ground, took those though... It was used to grind grain and corn, that is correct.

Upvote 0
Forgot to ask, am I holding it correctly, or should I turn it up the other way and use it in a mortar? :icon_sunny:

Upvote 0
notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:
Forgot to ask, am I holding it correctly, or should I turn it up the other way and use it in a mortar? :icon_sunny:
For my thoughts, you are holding it correctly.

Upvote 0
THANK YOU, WOODY ;D.....NGE (T)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back