🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Stone buckeye effigy??

ChrisfromKY

May 3, 2023
This stone has been in my family for nearly 30 years. It was found after a storm in the clay of a ditch along a road in Lincoln co KY (town being Crab Orchard). I originally believed it was simply a hematite or limonite concretion, however, I went on an online quest to find similar examples, and I consulted many experts, including a British archaeologist on another website that is since shut down. In his entire career, he said he had only seen one similar stone to this. It was found in Britain and it was a different color (grey).

I understand the want to feel you found an artifact, and it can sometimes cloud your judgement. But in my entire life, I truly have not seen anything else like this. In my opinion, the entire surface appears to be pecked. On its bottom side, it is completely flat and mostly flat on the top end. If you toss it, it always ends on 1 of the 2 sides. The most intriguing thing I think, and I live in KY so this is shameful it took so long to realize, this thing has the appearance of a buckeye seed, which apparently were sacred to Native Americans in the Ohio vicinity.

I am curious to hear what yall think. IMO, it appears to be worked. The bottom is completely flat.

Attachments

• IMG_20230512_224208433.jpg
    IMG_20230512_224208433.jpg
    940.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20230512_224131211.jpg
    IMG_20230512_224131211.jpg
    949.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20230512_224142298.jpg
    IMG_20230512_224142298.jpg
    925.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Seeds-buckeye-tree-resemblance-deer-eye.png
    Seeds-buckeye-tree-resemblance-deer-eye.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 63
This stone has been in my family for nearly 30 years. It was found after a storm in the clay of a ditch along a road in Lincoln co KY (town being Crab Orchard). I originally believed it was simply a hematite or limonite concretion, however, I went on an online quest to find similar examples, and I consulted many experts, including a British archaeologist on another website that is since shut down. In his entire career, he said he had only seen one similar stone to this. It was found in Britain and it was a different color (grey).

I understand the want to feel you found an artifact, and it can sometimes cloud your judgement. But in my entire life, I truly have not seen anything else like this. In my opinion, the entire surface appears to be pecked. On its bottom side, it is completely flat and mostly flat on the top end. If you toss it, it always ends on 1 of the 2 sides. The most intriguing thing I think, and I live in KY so this is shameful it took so long to realize, this thing has the appearance of a buckeye seed, which apparently were sacred to Native Americans in the Ohio vicinity.

I am curious to hear what yall think. IMO, it appears to be worked. The bottom is completely flat.
To me, it looks like a glazed clay shooter marble, with 1 side broke/glaze chipped off. Maybe it could be a native game piece as well. I'm not sure. Its definitely cool. Congrats on the find.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back