🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Stone Ball

hatetoorun

Aug 3, 2024
Hello folks,

I found this on a ridge of a friend’s property near Lookout Mountain by the GA/TN/AL border. There is no river or stream nearby. The mountains are limestone from my understanding.
I am wanting to know if this is natural or an Indian game ball that I have read about. There seems to be a fingertip indention.

Thanks for the help. I just found this site and look forward learning.

Attachments

• IMG_0808.jpeg
    IMG_0808.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • 0 bytes · Views: 0
  • IMG_0807.jpeg
    IMG_0807.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
A game ball would not have a fingertip indentation (that would prevent it rolling right). Are you sure it's stone? It looks like a petrified walnut.

Upvote 2
A game ball would not have a fingertip indentation (that would prevent it rolling right). Are you sure it's stone? It looks like a petrified walnut.
It feels as heavy as similar size stones. It feels like it has some heft to it. I’m not well versed in this stuff whatsoever. I was almost tempted to crack it open immediately, but decided to research it first. I had found it near an area with jagged rocks and it stood out to me as it was shaped like a ball. I do not recall seeing walnut trees nearby, but clearly things change over time. I had Google searched “ball shaped stone north Georgia” and that’s where the idea of a game ball came up.

Attachments

• IMG_0804.jpeg
    IMG_0804.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0805.jpeg
    IMG_0805.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0803.jpeg
    IMG_0803.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Upvote 2
It feels as heavy as similar size stones. It feels like it has some heft to it. I’m not well versed in this stuff whatsoever. I was almost tempted to crack it open immediately, but decided to research it first. I had found it near an area with jagged rocks and it stood out to me as it was shaped like a ball. I do not recall seeing walnut trees nearby, but clearly things change over time. I had Google searched “ball shaped stone north Georgia” and that’s where the idea of a game ball came up.
The more I look online, I’m thinking I was on the correct path with my initial thoughts when I thought about cracking it open. Seems it might just be a barite nodule.

Upvote 1
not an artifact. The concept of a "Indian game ball" is grossly misleading on the internet.

Upvote 1
Not an artifact, but it might be a nice geode.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back