Stick pin?

Hey Downindixie.....

It may also be a book mark. Assuming that this is an antique piece...I have to go with Buckram on the amethyst stone. My second choice would be Tanzinite, but I'm not sure when that particular stone came to exist.

Beautiful piece by the way. My birthstone! I would love to find something that nice.

HH,

Moon

hey downindixie.......

finally an answer that i have full knowledge of as a collector of precious and semi precious gems for as long as i can remember
the stone is definitely an Amethyst. Amethyst has been a popular stone since the roman times.

Tanzanite on the other hand was first introduced into the united states by tiffany and co in 1967 and some expert's say it was discovered in 67 as well by a Portuguese geologist, named DeSouza and he assisted Tiffany & Co. in introducing this exciting discovery to the world

so this stone is definitely amethyst

mav

Thanks Mavrick03 and Buckram,I'm sure that I'm lucky the IH's were with it or I might not have detected with my detector.A bookmark never crossed my mind.Is an amethyst in this crude form worth anything?

it apperas to be a freeform Cabochon cut
also by looking at it as a pic and not the actual stone i notice allot of inclusions (small cracks/lines) in the stone
today you can get a stone like this for a few dollars but keep in mind the year of this item is what makes the value of it much different then todays market price
you could take it to a Jeweler and have it appraised but that is up to you me personally i would just be happy with my find and maybe give it to someone who is dear to me

mavrick03
something else i was thinking about after i made this post are the ends of this item sharp or do they appear that they might have been sharp at one time
also looking at it i believe this to be homemade as in not made by a jeweler most jewelers will not do a freeform cabochon cut because this doesn't have any particular retail value for them
also if the ends are sharp i know you will think that i have flipped my lid when i say this but as a chef by trade what i think you got there is a (cocktail/cheese fork) look around and see if you cant locate the rest of them

Nice find!
I think Mavrick03 may have something with the (Cocktail/Cheese Fork)...
My guess was going to be a fancy olive fork?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back