Sterling silver "thingy" revisited....

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Maryland, Pennsylvania line
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
Sterling silver "thingy" revisited....

Hey all! A few months ago I posted about this sterling silver "knob" I found while removing bulk trash from a house and dumping the containers.

I posted pictures but I didnt have a really good camera or a picture with a size comparrison so here are the new pics. I figured it to be a parasol handle. Some suggested a riding crop knob or umbrella handle but Im really not sure sine they all look similair.

Let me know what everyone thinks or if someone knows someone I could contact to find the value and origin I would appreciate it.
Searching around the forums, I found an interesting post by Golddiver which says he found a sterling item in a civil war camp with the same engraving motiff. It may be from the same era but Im not sure. I have added a third picture of the item HE found to compare to also.

Thanks for looking................AGAIN!!

Attachments

• P9150001.JPG
    P9150001.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 298
  • P9150002.JPG
    P9150002.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 348
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 333
Re: Sterling silver "thingy" revisited....

The elongated item looks pretty much like the handle of a cane or even a parasol/umbrella (same thing) for sure. I noticed the end or knob was shiny as if worn smooth and polished by use. The flower motif is very common and I have seen it a lot especially on leather items like saddles and belts. Haven't a clue what the other item might be. Monty

Upvote 0

Hi,

I believe its a silver muddler - used for making drinks (like mojitos) that require the muddling of herbs in the bottom of the glass. Also used for distributing sauces on ice cream and cakes. You dip it into the sauce (usually chocolate or fruit syrup) and then apply it to the cake or ice cream. i'll try to find a picture of one.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

What do the ends look like ? Does the small end have a hole? what size?

Upvote 0

Victorian cane handle circa 1860's ('cept this one is gold).

13327.jpg

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Monty said:
The elongated item looks pretty much like the handle of a cane or even a parasol/umbrella (same thing) for sure. I noticed the end or knob was shiny as if worn smooth and polished by use. The flower motif is very common and I have seen it a lot especially on leather items like saddles and belts. Haven't a clue what the other item might be. Monty

The other thing monty is a tussy mussy.It is pinned to the lapel or worn around a ladies neck with a flower in it so ya can't smell the other guys/gals body odor.

Upvote 0

What's them things called dat a cathlick priest uses to throw water at you with ? Is that also a muddler ?

Upvote 0

I thought these were both previously identiifed?

I remember PBK getting the mussy-tussy thing... and the other a cane handle... ???

Maybe I'm mixing my posts up...

Upvote 0

I tend to agree with DCMatt. It does have an opening with a piece of leather rolled up in the small end and the "knob" part of it has initials on it in fancy script. I have never seen one of these before and can only guess to what it really is, but I agree with DCMatt.

Sorry for the minimal information but Ive tried to post the pics so many times I got a little frustrated and didnt repeat it again.

I do think your getting your past posts mixed up since until now no one has given an example of what it was with a picture or some background info. Thanks again for looking and if anyone knows a approx. value I would appreciate it.

Upvote 0

DCMatt said:
Victorian cane handle circa 1860's ('cept this one is gold).

13327.jpg

DCMatt

Looks like a match to me.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back