Sterling Religous Praying Hands

maxiebaby0914

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought these pair of praying hands at a flea market / garage sale (this event had alittle bit of both going on). It was priced $45. I asked him if he was firm on that price and he went down to $30, which was great and made me want it even more. I have never seen praying hands in sterling silver. They stand almost 6 in tall. Each hand weighs 5.5 oz . That's 11 oz altogether. They are marked "925" on the side (near bottom) of hands and also directly on bottom. I was wondering if anyone has seen praying hands set in sterling? Was $30 a good price or did I overpay? Any info would be great. Thanks..

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I think you did swell !

They might be overlay since there is that plug on the bottom. If they are sold, that's an awesome score! Either way, nice find!

You got them for an excellent price. I've never seen anything like them before. No other marks besides 925? Are they solid or hollow?

Not sure if it's hollow or not. It doesn't have that heavy weighted feel like you see in salt and pepper shakers. It's also marked twice in 2 different areas on each hand "925". They are a good size. Almost 6 inches tall, 2 inches across widest part of palm of hand and 1 inch in depth. and only 5 1/2 oz each. The base has slight weight to it, so I am thinking it might have a wax base instead of that heavy cement weighted kind. I am thinking this was hand made by someone. I asked the dealer if he knew anything about it, but he did not. I am hoping to find one on the internet that is similar to this, however, I have been unsuccessful. I don't usually spend $30 for one item at garage sales. I usually go for the jewelry table, but it was so unique looking, like a sculpture, I couldn't resist :)

I agree that it is a custom made piece. I haven't been able to find another example of anything similar except in bronze. I'm usually pretty good at finding stuff for comparisons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back