Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this in with a bag of dug Spanish cobs and coins I got from a digger in Spain.

I buy uncleaned copper maravedis and was suprised to find this grey/silver color coin in the bunch.

What is it?

I didn't have a coin on me so I used the 3-ringer to give you an idea of the size.

Thanks,

Badger

Attachments

• coinstar.jpg
    coinstar.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,193
  • coinstar2.jpg
    coinstar2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,370
I remember seeing this coin in a coin magazine but can not remember what it was called. Will keep looking and post when I find it out for you.
Good find though and keep on detecting

Upvote 0
Hey Badger

Looks like a good deal. your coin is in very good condition compared to the Ebay ones... too bad the Ebay site did not show the reverse side.

Your post though gave me an idea. i just ordered 40 roman coins and i will pass them out to my nieces and nephews as a extra Christmas present when we get together.

Maybe there will one or two left for me too.

thanks for the idea

Sanat

Upvote 0
Following up on Ashleen's keen post, it appears to be a cast bronze falus from the Kingdom of Morocco. Unfortunately, the Hejira (Islamic calendar) date is partially illegible, but it appears to be somewhere in the mid to late 1200's, which would equate to our mid to late 1800's. Here's an example of a Moroccan 4 falus from 1288 (our year 1871).

9a96_1.JPG b013_1.JPG

Upvote 0
Well done PBK :)

I can now see 1266

Upvote 0
Badger:

Alawid Sultan Sulayman (1792–1822) introduced cast bronze coins called fals (singular falus) to make up for the shortage of silver coins in Morocco. Coins were cast in various weights and dimensions that followed a fixed conversion scale; for example, 24 fals equalled one silver dirham, the basic unit of currency. Over time, as Moroccan currency was devalued by inflation, the size of the coins decrease.

A typical falus issued under Sulayman measured 22.5 mm. If this coin has a diameter of 16.5 mm, that would be consistent with the size of a falus issued during the reign of Sultan Abd ar-Rahman (1822–59); without precluding other possibilities.

I see the date as "1246", putting it in the reign of Sultan Adberrahmane
(AH 1239--AH 1276 or AD 1822--AD 1859).

Don.....

Source: http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/review/rev_spring2005.html

Upvote 0
WOW! Thanks to everyone who worked on this and posted!

This is really educational.

But why does this coin appear to be silver?

It's just a tiny bit bigger than a U.S. penny or about 19mm (it varies slightly).

Thanks again!

Badger

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back