✅ SOLVED STAR CARVED INSIDE OF A .69 CAL CIV BULLET? OTHER ITEMS?? NEED SOME HELP.

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 w/dd coil...teknetics pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• star.jpg
    star.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 260
  • shell case52.jpg
    shell case52.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 184
  • front flat3.jpg
    front flat3.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 183
  • rear flat1.jpg
    rear flat1.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 203
  • all07.jpg
    all07.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 181
thats what i thought until i looked up parker milford. they made ammunition in the 1800's

Upvote 0
I'm guessing it's the item in the second photo? Can you post a pic of the writing, the base, and is there a hole in the side near the base? Can you post a link to where you found them as an ammo maker as well?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The "star" in the bullet's base was not carved into it. That is the mark made by the lathe-chuck in themachine which manufactured the bullet, gripping it while the grooves were lathe-cut into the bullet. Therefore, this type of bullet is known as a "pressed & turned" bullet, but many relic-diggers and collectors incorrectly call it a "swaged" bullet due to an error in the McKee-&-Mason book on civil war bullets.

That particular version of bullet-making machine was invented by J.D. Custer of Philadelphia PA. There is no equivalent Confederate-made bullet.

None of the civil war bullet reference-books list a .69-caliber version of it. So, either your bullet is actually a .58-caliber, or you've found the first known .69-caliber one.

The brass tube is definitely not a bullet cartridge-casing, because no bullet casings had a maker's name stamped into the side of the casing.

Your 1-piece brass button with a moldseam across its back dates from the late 1700s to the 1830s.

Upvote 0
Finding any Civil War bullet with a star on them is somewhat rare! I use to dig in the 1990s cw 3 ringer bullets with stars in them a lot but lately they seem not too come! it use to be like 1 and every 30 or so 3 ringer bullet you dig one would at least be a star but now its more like 1 in 100 now. I bet to a CW soldier it made life alittle easier having bullets made by machine so they wouldn't have too sit there and make their own bullets or depend on someone else too make them. Im pretty sure most star bullets were used and shot and the soldiers tried too keep those bullets.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back