Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,
I had 3 potential sites in mind, couldn't get permission for the first 2,
the third was listed on an 1892 map as 'Razor and Shave Man'
Sure sounds interesting...
I was at the right location, between a stream and two cemetaries,
no signs of any foundation or hole, just a very steep hill going down to the stream.
possibly washed away from spring flooding ....
Anyway, got a couple targets,
A bridle boss with star, I searched images for a match, no luck for me.
I'm hoping someone will confirm this as a military find :help:
Of all the harmonica combs I've found, this is the first top plate I've dug,
Herr Hohner started making them from plated steel around 1920, that explains why.
Interesting history here: http://www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q38.html
Wiki states that he gave many harmonicas to CW soldiers
Also the two pin whatsit...
well that's about it for the 30 minute hunt,
thanks for looking, and happy holidays everyone!!

Attachments

• NH FINDS 11-22 001.jpg
    NH FINDS 11-22 001.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,189
  • NH FINDS 11-22 004.jpg
    NH FINDS 11-22 004.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,177
  • NH FINDS 11-22 002.jpg
    NH FINDS 11-22 002.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,188
  • NH FINDS 11-22.jpg
    NH FINDS 11-22.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,269
  • NH FINDS 11-22 008.jpg
    NH FINDS 11-22 008.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,350
Upvote 0
Interesting finds for such a short hunt yesterday Herbie! :hello2:
Bet there's more to be found there yet, the site looks to hold some potential! :thumbsup:

Dave

Interesting digs Herbie. :icon_thumright: I like the star. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Guys!
Gotta get busy cookin, shoulda started yesterday, but there's those new moon low tides..... I sometimes find something special :wink:

Nice finds Herbie. The "C" shaped wire is of the type that went into a crock or glass canning jar but you knew that I'm sure. I like the bit boss but can't say I have ever seen one like it. Those with a star found down here are generally associated with Texas or Mississippi troops. Maybe Creskol or Kuger will see this post. They are the cavalry tack experts in my opinion. Happy Thanksgiving, Quindy.

!!! A 'Harp' top! I don't recall ever finding one, not even parts, but lots of reeds,--cool!

VOL1266-X said:
Nice finds Herbie. The "C" shaped wire is of the type that went into a crock or glass canning jar but you knew that I'm sure. I like the bit boss but can't say I have ever seen one like it. Those with a star found down here are generally associated with Texas or Mississippi troops. Maybe Creskol or Kuger will see this post. They are the cavalry tack experts in my opinion. Happy Thanksgiving, Quindy.
Thanks Q!
I'm ever hopeful for the military finds :wink:
have a great Thanksgiving!!!

aka said:
!!! A 'Harp' top! I don't recall ever finding one, not even parts, but lots of reeds,--cool!
Thanks Prof!
thought it was just another brass whatzit til i got home & cleaned it up,
first thing I saw was the bust, still no idea till Marine Band became visible.
HH to ya! :thumbsup:

Loving that star boss Herbie. :thumbsup:
Congrats on your first harmonica top plate. They don't seem to pop up too often. :dontknow:
-Dug-

VOL1266-X said:

Thanks Quindy,I am flattered,unfortunatly...once again I have not seen a boss quite like the one you have found Herbie!!I am thinking the "C",shaped deal is actually a trunk handle?I have dug similar ones at very early(for us)sites

Hi Dug and Kuger :hello:
Whenever I see a Star, I'm hopeful for something military,
Got lucky a couple times, with a Rivet & a Slug.
That handle is a pretty heavy piece ...
looking at it now, seems to be handworked, flat center section is quite uneven,
and the tangs are different lengths.
HH all :thumbsup:

Attachments

• NH FINDS 11-22 017.jpg
    NH FINDS 11-22 017.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 800
  • NH FINDS 11-22 018.jpg
    NH FINDS 11-22 018.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 837
Yep,funny story on the first one I dug Herbie....at first I thought mine was a striker but it was brass,I didnt know for several years.I was sitting at my in-laws whom had a bunch of Asian type antiques throughout there house and a trunk was acting as a coffee table and there on the sides were my exact piece!!One never knows where an I.D will come from!

Your Star Rivet.......we find quite a few of them along the immigrant trail and at one time I knew the manufacturer but the name presently escapes me.

Sweet digs!

All the best,

Lanny

kuger said:
Yep,funny story on the first one I dug Herbie....at first I thought mine was a striker but it was brass,I didnt know for several years.I was sitting at my in-laws whom had a bunch of Asian type antiques throughout there house and a trunk was acting as a coffee table and there on the sides were my exact piece!!One never knows where an I.D will come from!

Your Star Rivet.......we find quite a few of them along the immigrant trail and at one time I knew the manufacturer but the name presently escapes me.

Isn't it great when an ID come out of the blue like that :wink:
I posted that rivet with star on the head a while back,
It may have been Id'ed by you.. :laughing7:

I think it was Herbie,I really need to look back and see what the name was again!!
Here is one of my handles I dug from a site that dated to 1845

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,007
VOL1266-X said:

Wow, those must be super rare. Would you mind sharing a picture of one of those bit bosses?

"Of all the harmonica combs I've found, this is the first top plate I've dug",........How true, we see the combs all the time but rarely the plates, nice save......cheers :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back