Stamp motif lapel pin RF?

on.off

Aug 1, 2014
new york city
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an old (by the style and form could be anywhere from 1900 to 1930s I'd say) screw-back lapel pin. It is only about 5/8" by 1/2".

It is shaped like a postage stamp. The center has a profile, worn but possibly neoclassical. The border features the initials "RF" in2 corners and parochial crosses in the other corners. I had no luck researching this item.

The only "rf" I could find was russian federation.

image.jpg

postage stamp pins | eBay

If this attachment works it will show you several pages of postage stamp pins. I didn't find your exact one but I only looked at two pages.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
The RF is Republique Francaise (France). In an image search I can see a 1 Franc stamp with this, supposedly from the 1940's, but the seller had no further info.

Upvote 0
Interesting find!!
Some history:
Marianne is a symbol of Republican France. A Marianne is a bust of a proudand determined woman wearing a Phrygian cap. She symbolizes theattachment of the common citizens of the revolution to the Republic -Marianne is liberty, regality and fraternity.

The designer ofthe likeness (found on French stamps between 1942 to 1946) was EdmundDulac, who used Lea, the wife of his friend, Elile Rixens as themodel. On stamps, the denomination would appear at both corners at the bottom.
Don.........

Upvote 0
Thanks for the great info! Can't believe I missed rep. Francaise! So I guess it's WWII period. I wonder why they made the stamp into a lapel/collar pin.

Upvote 0
Maybe it was just a souvenir. Mfrs used to reproduce stamps on souvenir jewelry like charms and pins, though these were usually 800 or higher silver and much finer quality than my lapel pin.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back