Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image-2204323139.jpg

It says (rotate 90 degrees) Blessed st. Christopher savior? guide and our protector

Preserve us from all accidents and danger to soul and body

Found this morning and I am curious about it.

image-3250940537.jpg

Back

image-1750374043.jpg

Sizing

St. Christopher metals, as well as other religious metals have been around since recorded history. Their appearance has changed very little over the years, so it's difficult to determine the age.

Neat find :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
It's copper, don't know what it was mounted on.

Maybe jewelry ??

Upvote 0
St. Christopher medallions were and are common for folks to have in their car (where they need protection from accidents). Often they would have a clip to hold them to the sun visor. I'd guess it had been silver or nickle plated (which sticks well to the copper that remains).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like it may have had a clip on the back of it. So if it did clip on a cars sun visor then that would give me an indication of its age.
Don't see any plating but I'm sure it was at one time.

image-2001751303.jpg

This is the closest image I could find

Upvote 0
The legend of St. Christopher was that he was a very tall man who lived near a river with rapid currents and was often called upon to help people across. One day the Christ child appeared to him and he carried him across the water on his shoulders. He was martyred for refusing to deny his faith. He is the patron St. of Travelers.

My Italian grandmother always kept a St. Christopher medal in her car, pinned to the visor and bought these medals for her children and grandchildren when they got cars of their own.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back