fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't decide which forum to put these in so I thgt this would be the best for info. Don't find many of these but curious how to put a timeframe and certain style to them. Any ideas 💡
IMG_20230627_212429889.jpg
IMG_20230627_212521177.jpg
IMG_20230627_212450453.jpg
IMG_20230627_212445215.jpg

Pantyhose early fastener?
A tad thick for a garter/hosiery fastener.
Probably these predate pantyhose by a century.

Pantyhose were invented in the late 1950s and went on sale in 1959. They didn't become popular until the mid-1960s (thanks to the mini-skirt). They were revolutionary because women no longer needed to wear a girdle or garter belt.

Upvote 4
A tad thick for a garter/hosiery fastener.
Probably these predate pantyhose by a century.

Pantyhose were invented in the late 1950s and went on sale in 1959. They didn't become popular until the mid-1960s (thanks to the mini-skirt). They were revolutionary because women no longer needed to wear a girdle or garter belt.
Yep. I could see a fastener for nylon/silk stockings, but not for pantyhose. Seems redundant

Upvote 1
Look like pieces of Civil War spurs to me...when the cannon shot exploded that close to do that damage...wasn't much left of the person wearing them...8-)

Upvote 1
I couldn't decide which forum to put these in so I thgt this would be the best for info. Don't find many of these but curious how to put a timeframe and certain style to them. Any ideas 💡View attachment 2091698View attachment 2091699View attachment 2091700View attachment 2091701
They’re definitely spurs and they weren’t destroyed by cannon damage lol. I’ve dug so many pieces of spurs that it’s either the Plow doing it or they’re still fighting the civil war and firing artillery in Louisiana. 😂

They’re mid 1800s examples. One on the right looks more like a confederate pattern. One on left probably antebellum

Upvote 3
What stands out to me is the difference in patina . the one on the left has the green / brown look I'm used to seeing with civil war era artifacts . the one on the right is a shiny black look ,is it from a different site or was it cleaned?

Upvote 1
What stands out to me is the difference in patina . the one on the left has the green / brown look I'm used to seeing with civil war era artifacts . the one on the right is a shiny black look ,is it from a different site or was it cleaned?
That’s a dark green patina and I try to keep it on my dug items too because I like it

Upvote 2
That's what's puzzled me as well. Both from the same mid to late 1800's homesite, maybe two years apart. Not cleaned, heck still scraped dirt off of them before the pics lol. I've just never been able to find much info on spurs to learn about them. Never would've thgt confederate but there has been a few piece found , just none by me. Thx for the help all!!!

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back