Spanish wrecks near Oceanside, California

Agarnaut

Jan 16, 2011
I'm about to add to the controversy regarding the Trinidad.

In 1973 I was a member of a team of divers hired to survey the coast from San Diego to Santa Barbara and all the Channel Islands.
We were harvesting Agar seaweed for American Agar and Chemical Co. based in San Diego.

To make a long story short, we found quite a number of ship wrecks. They seemed to be quite numerous and varied in ages.
One area in particular had a lot of evidence of some really old timbers and unusual coral encrusted mounds.

Over the years the stories of people looking for the Trinidad and the location of the various evidence collected with locations kept
secret started to make sense to me. It tied in with what I was seeing underwater.
Then one day ten years later I found a bow of a galleon like ship sticking up out of the sand. I've surveyed this areas hundreds of times before and was surprised by my find.

My research pointed to possibilities. The lost ship from the movie Captain Blood or the Trinidad.
I doubt people were finding coins and crosses on the beaches from the movie prop.

The areas involved are right in line with other finds and theories put forth over the years. However, with the obvious being totally ignored. The Trinidad wreck is scattered over several miles. From it's alleged abandoned anchorage to the breakup and to it's final resting place to be covered in sand.

I have found the Timbers, ballast, keel, bow, and coral encrusted mounds where I believe the heavier cargo is buried underneath.

I really don't want this info to go with me to my grave.

Agarnaut

Don,

I read the older postings @ your suggestion.

Very interesting info and background on this subject.

Ballast mounds? have they been really explored? Has anyone run a magnetometer over them?

Seems it should be a point focus. As they are a one a kind formation. If they are the same ones I found and have been scanned and found nothing then so be it.

Does anyone know the location of these mounds? Or is it a secret?
I would gladly give the location of the mounds I found if I thought it would help further the cause.

Other related ships of interest are off Catalina's Iron Bound Cove. The West End and Eagle Rock.

Also, I found a glass artifact that can't be ID'd.
I first showed it to Dr. Moriarty and he just about did a back flip out of his chair and said it was evidence of pre-Columbian trade routes to N' America.
Dr. Whitehouse of the Corning Museum of Glass never seen anything like it. Others believe it as Dr. Moriarty suggested early European soda glass.
The Smithsonian, European, and Middle Eastern Museums also are intrigued but don't have a clue.
Know any glass experts?

Hope you guys bare with me as I try to sort all this out.

Upvote 0
Agarnaut said:
Also, I found a glass artifact that can't be ID'd.
I first showed it to Dr. Moriarty and he just about did a back flip out of his chair and said it was evidence of pre-Columbian trade routes to N' America.
Dr. Whitehouse of the Corning Museum of Glass never seen anything like it. Others believe it as Dr. Moriarty suggested early European soda glass.
The Smithsonian, European, and Middle Eastern Museums also are intrigued but don't have a clue.
Know any glass experts?
Please post a pic of the glass artifact here in "What Is It" and we will try to help.

May I suggest our shipwreck forum? http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,5.0.html

Upvote 0
In the absence of a permit, any attempt to do a shipwreck recovery on this Left Coast would be met by an myriad of officials shutting you down quickly. And getting a permit for such a venture is probably out of the question. But still there are those who might try for a permit or do it illegally. Neither option sounds appealing.

I'd like to see a pic of the glasswork you are referring to.
Have you considered the possibility it may be Chinese?

Don.....

Upvote 0
About 1960, I was a crane operator in the Marine Corps. During a severe storm, I was sent up the beach North of Del Mar to help recover a truck load of gasoline drums that had washed ashore after they had fallen overboard during debarking exercises. I ran the crawler crane up to "Red" beach and got there just before daylight. I had to run way up against the clifts in order to stay out of the surf. We recovered the drums. I hoisted them into a 6 X 6
truck that had come in from inland. Around 1000 hrs I headed back down the beach. The storm was still raging, but the water line had moved back out about 100 feet. It was still raining hard, but the wind wasn't blowing so hard. Somewhere between Red beach and the camp, there was a pile of timbers with a large ballest stone pile spread out around it. I eased down as close as I could with the crane. The timbers were very old and I could see wooden pegs sticking out of some of the ribs. The whole thing was sticking about 4-5 feet out of the sand. A couple of us walked down there a week later and could not find anything.
I was buy myself since everyone else had come in fron the East by Jeep and truck.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back