Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
AT Pro
Racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,
Beautiful detecting weather here in New England this week. Went back to the colonial era farm where I dug my first Spanish coin...... a 1781 1/2 Reale. I’d been back to the same area several times over the past year (only been detecting for about a year and a half) but this time I decided to slow way down and take my time. So on Monday I dug 2 KGll’s, one was pretty toasty but still had enough detail for an I.D. Within in three feet I got a strong signal not that deep, maybe 4 inches and found a 1748 KGll. My oldest coin to date.
On Thursday I went back with the same game plan in mind. I dug an early 1800’s flat button and my second signal was an oval cuff button. Have yet to find his twin which was probably attached at one time. My next signal was somewhat scratchy but was getting consistent high 20’s to mid 30’s on the Equinox 800. After battling a nasty root system I saw the rim of what appeared to be a silver coin. When I plucked it out, I could see the Spanish writing on the coin and once I cleaned it up I was the proud owner of a 1748 2 Reale in very good condition. Unbelievable two day hunt!!!!!! Just goes to show you that “it’s never hunted out.”
Thanks for taking the time to read my novel. Happy New Year to all!!!!!!

Attachments

• 020D99B9-3CED-4290-A55B-D81853C2D7DB.jpeg
    020D99B9-3CED-4290-A55B-D81853C2D7DB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 125
  • 96707FD8-F1CF-4B8D-8956-81E463B876C0.jpeg
    96707FD8-F1CF-4B8D-8956-81E463B876C0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
Upvote 29
Great old coin shooting, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Well done... your Spanish is as follows...

It is a 2 Reales - Fernando VI - Minted in Mexico City...

Type - Standard circulation coin

Years - 1747-1760

Value - 2 Reales (2)

Currency - Real (1535-1821)

Composition - Silver (.917)

Weight - 6.767 g

Diameter - 25 mm

" Fernando 6th by the grace of God King of Spain and the Indies"

Amazing Spanish and a great looking halfpenny. That silver should clean up nicely. Congratulations!

Beautiful! Would love to find those. You hit it on the head when you wrote "I decided to slow way down and take my time". THAT has made a big difference for me (even though I still catch myself rushing). Congrats!

Wowza those are some great coins good variety lol When people say hunted out it means nothing it all depends on who hunted them lol

Wow! You've got some great ground there, and some even greater coins to prove it! Outstanding finds all around. Congrtulations!!!

:icon_scratch: The half penny looks like 1757 to me.

Wow congrats on the big Spanish silver!!! Looks like a very exciting coin to dig up! Especially in the roots and it looks like you did it without smashing the coin! A win on several fronts!!!

Congrats.... May 2020 be a fantastic year for you...... I have ben detecting every year since 1990, and still love the hunt.... Basssmann

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back