Spanish piece of 8?

rdawg14

Aug 13, 2012
NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been told this is maybe a spanish piece of 8 and done a little research.. I found this while digging weeds for someone. The location is well known for its history but also for reenactments. My biggest concern is that this is not a hammered coin. I have a replica of the same coin and this one is definitely way more convincing but im still not sure if its real =( any comments are appreciated... thanks =) photo (2).JPGphoto.JPG

Pretty sure it's a fake.But I'm no expert. I do have a real one and it doesn't look nothing like it.
Sorry.

Upvote 0
If it is fake it would have pitting and 'spider webs' on the surface, which would happen if it was casted. With the pictures you gave, i am not sure if yours has that or not. It would also have a very small seam along the edge. The main concern is that you found it near the surface and that you area does many reenactments. Either way, cool find. If you can, I am sure better pictures would help. My first impression is that it is fake. Sorry :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it is fake it would have pitting and 'spider webs' on the surface, which would happen if it was casted. With the pictures you gave, i am not sure if yours has that or not. It would also have a very small seam along the edge. The main concern is that you found it near the surface and that you area does many reenactments. Either way, cool find. If you can, I am sure better pictures would help. My first impression is that it is fake. Sorry :(

The more I look at it the more I believe it is a replica. Thanks for the knowledge though. Ill still keep it =) haha

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back