Sov GT vs MXT Pro

Euqinu

Mar 1, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
Detector(s) used
Sov. GT, Compadre
I have finally narrowed down my expansive list of possible new detectors to two!! There are just so many good options out there. AT Pro aside, I'm looking for a good beach detector. Something for wet/dry sand mainly. If I can get in the water up to my shins or something that would be great, but I have no intention of going into the surf with this detector. I'll save that for my next one! I also am looking for a detector that would work well relic/coin hunting in the farm lands around my house. I've read up on both machines and feel they would both be more than sufficient for what I am looking to do. Is one actually better than the other? I know that both Minelab and Whites have their own cult following, but personal feelings aside how do they stack up. Any issues to look out for? I've read that the Sov. GT can be a slow machine in terms of recovery time. Big issue? Accu-trak really all that great? Which machine would be easier to learn?

Thanks in advance for any input, I know you guys won't let me down!

"Is one any better than the Other?" Well if you need to look at a screen to tell you what if could be, get the MXT. Its a decent detector.

However the king of the beach detectors is the Sov GT for many reasons. It is not affected by wet salt sand. Reaches extremely deep while doing it and is stable at the same time. Sov GT uses 17 frequencies to punch into the ground to give accurate id information that comes to you with many different tones. Has Iron Mask feature which can be turned on/off to respond to a gold ring with a large iron nail thru it. Freq adjustments, notch, ground balance, very good sensitivity to small gold while ignoring iron or hot rocks, DD coil for wide coverage and you don't need to waste time pinpointing as it pinpoints off the tip or heel of the coil with the "Minelab Wiggle." True all metal mode and rock star volume for the speaker if you don't want to use headphones. The Sov GT is the land version of the Excal so it is at home too looking for relics or coins in the wilderness. Hip mountable so you can swing all day unlike the MXT which gets heavy like all detectors used with one arm. Rechargeable battery pack or alkaline packs.

Of course others will claim the Pi's are better at the beaches, but how much digging can you do for hairpins?

Thanks Sandman. I've actually had some limited time using my dad's Sov GT. It is a really impressive machine. I've never used the MXT Pro. I don't really care about a screen, I actually would like to learn by listening to different tones, which I know will require some practice.

How do you think the Sov GT would perform on beaches with LOTS of trash? I don't want to miss any good targets that might be close to a bottle cap or pull tab. The only real knock I've heard against the GT is that it has a slower recovery time. Is that just something I need to adjust to while learning the machine? I understand that there is no perfect machine out there, I'm just looking to get the most bang for my buck. Also what type of headphones would you recommend since I would have to add that option?

Regards,

Euqinu

The slow recovery time that is mentioned is nothing to worry about as you should not swing it like a grass whip anyway. The Iron mask feature will knock out all the smaller iron junk but you will have to dig pull tabs if you ever want to get any gold rings. If you lay a pull tab down on clean ground and a gold ring a bit away and disc out the pull tab, you probably won't hear the gold ring either as 90% of the gold rings are in the pull tab conductivity range. Detectors only report on the conductivity of targets and now what they really are, so screens are really worthless for most of us. Oh they do have uses for those that only like to scoop quarters an not dimes. But lots of jewelry shows up in the dime area too an the white gold rings with the big rocks usually show up in the foil range.

For headphones, about any good ones will do, but I like Detector Pro Black Widows because of the better tone/pitch quality and outside sound proofing. Grey Ghosts are also excellent.

The MXT pro is like a regular MXT but the Pro comes with a 12" coil. You can get a 15" WOT coil for the Sov GT and get the depth of PI's at the beach. Ask Treasure_Hunter about the Sov GT & WOT coil.

Good Luck,
Sandman

The Sov GT does have a slower recovery speed than most , but if you do not swing the unit as fast as some do it really is not an issue .
I got to use one for a few days and it only took me about an hour to get the hang of it over my Xterra 705 . And in doing so I learned to slow down my swing on the 705 , and I am glad I did .
The Sov GT had no problems getting through any type of soil that I ran into , and I really like it .
Now I am not a pro at the Sov GT that is for sure, but If I can learn to use it in a short time then anyone can .
I do not think you would go wrong by getting one of these, and Sandman is one that I listen to when he speaks of detectors as I have learned quite a lot from him.

Thanks guys. I'll definitely look into the WOT coil. I also like that it's hip mountable. Looks like I'll be getting the GT. With a little practice I'm sure it will be a great investment. My uncle just purchased one as well over an Explorer II. Like my father says, "It's an older platform that some other detectors out there, but why change what really works." I really appreciate all the great advice.

Thanks again,

Euqinu

Sov GT is the king of the wet sand at salt water beaches.....Add to it a WOT coil or a 12"x15" SEF Butterfly coil and you have a beach vaccum... :icon_thumright:

As far as the so called slow response goes, if your dad has one borrow it for a test, lay down on the ground in a line a quarter, a nail, a dime, another nail, a nickle and a gold ring, then sweep it with the Sov.....What how fast it recovers, unless your swinging it like a sickle cutting wheat you will be fine....

Treasure_Hunter said:
Sov GT is the king of the wet sand at salt water beaches.....Add to it a WOT coil or a 12"x15" SEF Butterfly coil and you have a beach vaccum... :icon_thumright:

As far as the so called slow response goes, if your dad has one borrow it for a test, lay down on the ground in a line a quarter, a nail, a dime, another nail, a nickle and a gold ring, then sweep it with the Sov.....What how fast it recovers, unless your swinging it like a sickle cutting wheat you will be fine....

I'd love to borrow it but he lives up in Jersey, I'm in FL. Got to play with it once for about three hours when he came down on vacation. I'm gonna do a bit of shopping around to see what deals and packages I can get. I'll make sure I take it easy on the swings...I've got a compadre I can cut wheat with!

Thanks

Ordered the Sov. GT last Friday, should be here on Tuesday. Thanks for all the great advice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back