Southern Ohio Find

Brian75

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this along a river in Southern Ohio. Posted earlier in the "what is it" section and got some mixed opinions. It was suggested that I post it over here. Any thoughts?

Original thread with more pics: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/368168-grinding-stone.html

IMG_20130804_142956.jpgIMG_20130804_142858.jpgIMG_20130804_142833.jpgIMG_20130804_142724.jpgIMG_20130802_205643.jpg

Well it is just to perfect to be natural. Nice find whatever it is and welcome to the site, rock

Upvote 0
Wait a second...the Hopewell Indians invented the wheel? This changes everything!

Two outside-the-box ideas: could it be a worn down grindstone or an eroded mortar?

Upvote 0
Petrified doughnut. Ha ha.. definatly an artifact of some sort. Makes ya wonder if the hopewell mastered the art of a mechanical stone lathe.

Upvote 0
Nice read reaper. This piece looks abrasive. Could it be a type of mill stone, used in Gris mills? Certainly odd. Perhaps the natives used wheel grinders before the artifakers ever thought of them. Just a couple of thoughts.

Upvote 0
This was found within 100 feet of where I found this last year100_3908.JPG100_3916.JPG100_3909.JPG100_3914.JPG100_3906.JPG

Upvote 0
Nice find on the new artifact picture. I have yet to find one of those. The wheel thing I would have to examine in hand.

Upvote 0
1st piece I dont know, slate piece would prolly be Adena gorget in culture possibly Hopewell also but the drilling of holes id lean towards adena, its one of the best ive seen not a scratch on it,always makes people wonder when they see one in that condition on if its real or not , ill take your word on it that you found it, amazing find.

Upvote 0
Im just trying to think on how they would of made something like that and by all of the examples of them I guess it was an important tool. You have a real nice example of one. Congrats on both of those great artifact finds.

Upvote 0
Was that Gorget found in a plowed field? Is so that is the cleanest one I've ever seen from a field. Not a scratch or nick on it. Very unusual.

Upvote 0
Just when I thought I had seen everything.

Nice links Reaper, But I'm having trouble with the stick weight, or planting stick stop theories.

A stick weight wouldn't have to be round. Extra weight on a planting stick doesn't seem right, when a notch, or small stick tied on would do the same thing.

The game stone idea is possible, but it seems like a very small hole to hit with a spear or Atlatl, and did they really want to waste their good darts throwing at a rock?

The roundness to me, suggests some sort of rolling, or circular sort of application. The material looks abrasive.....grinding perhaps?

This is one of the big attractions to relic hunting, trying to figure things like this out.

Very interesting.

Upvote 0
I found the doughnut stone pretty much on top of where I found the Gorget (some people have also called it a boatstone), albeit a full year later. Both found on a rock/sand bar which gets flooded every winter by the Scioto river kind of close to Mound City in Chillicothe. I am also amazed by how smooth the second artifact is. Seems as if it was just made. It's possible that it came out of a field and ended up where it did due to flooding. I also ran into some girls wallet full of ID and credit cards, a bunch of tires, a half sunken boat and what appeared to be some kind of adult toy. Never know what you'll find on the river.

Upvote 0
Just when I thought I had seen everything.

Nice links Reaper, But I'm having trouble with the stick weight, or planting stick stop theories.

A stick weight wouldn't have to be round. Extra weight on a planting stick doesn't seem right, when a notch, or small stick tied on would do the same thing.

The game stone idea is possible, but it seems like a very small hole to hit with a spear or Atlatl, and did they really want to waste their good darts throwing at a rock?

The roundness to me, suggests some sort of rolling, or circular sort of application. The material looks abrasive.....grinding perhaps?

This is one of the big attractions to relic hunting, trying to figure things like this out.

Very interesting.

I really like your method of deduction and agree with you.. leaning towards flywheel myself.

Upvote 0
I found the doughnut stone pretty much on top of where I found the Gorget (some people have also called it a boatstone), albeit a full year later. Both found on a rock/sand bar which gets flooded every winter by the Scioto river kind of close to Mound City in Chillicothe. I am also amazed by how smooth the second artifact is. Seems as if it was just made. It's possible that it came out of a field and ended up where it did due to flooding. I also ran into some girls wallet full of ID and credit cards, a bunch of tires, a half sunken boat and what appeared to be some kind of adult toy. Never know what you'll find on the river.

I know the Scioto well Floated it many times and I have found all kinds of modern debris,Ive heard some rumors about a bank near the park that alot of relics erode out of, I usally float from big walnut creek to scioto river to circleville an Jasper to Lucasville,always wanted to float circleville to chillicothe.Paint creek is another good place to look, once again you found a great slate artifact thanks for the look.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back