Something new at the river

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello. I found this at the river. First time I have found a fossil with color in it. Kind of pink red and spotted. Any help to ID would be much appreciated. I find lots of shells like the second picture (although this is the only whole -intact shell with top and bottom still together), but never any like the first. Thank you very much for any help! Glad to be in the forum now.
Jeb.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    996.1 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 111
The top one may need a few more pix to identify, or a better rockhound to ID it, but I can help you with the second - it's a brachiopod. It is cool finding them intact, I really like their shape. Keep lookin' down!

Tigger

Thank you Tigger. I will also try to post some different shots of the first one. I found it in the river. When it was wet, if had some pretty great color. Dry it looks a bit dull. Thank you again for the help.

Photos from other angles. They all look pretty similar, non distinguishing to me. If anyone can help, that would be great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 83
Rock or fossil

So I was about to dump this in the trash as a rock, but the more I hold it and look at it, it just does not seem like a rock. I took some close-ups and found these symmetric lines all running around the bottom edges. I don't think the lines favor a rock. Any thoughts ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 85

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back