Something like a coin but thick and of lead

burglug

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from Germany,

I need your help identifying this 'object' if possible.
The material is lead with a weight of approx. 22g and a diameter of approx. 2cm.

The object was found near a lead bullet from a Dreyse needle gun (1855) - if it helps...

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• DSC_8609_x.jpg
    DSC_8609_x.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Burglug, I see that's your very first post here at TreasureNet, so... wecome to the What-Is-It forum, the best place on the internet to get the correct identification of unknown objects.

The rounded edges of your nearly flat lead disc, which you say weighs approximately 22 grams, suggests it was originally a ball, such as a musketball, which has been pounded flat. That guess is supported by your finding it next to an 1840s/50s Dryse bullet, which is a Military bullet from a time-period when musketballs were still being used by various armies. We American Civil War relic hunters often find lead musketballs which were pounded flat, to make a "Poker Chip," or merely from boredom. As I said, that identification is a guess, and it could be incorrect... but it is supported by the lead disc's rounded edges and it being found next to an 1840s/50s Military bullet. If my guess is correct, the flattened lead ball's weight of approximately 22 grams (339.5 grains) suggest the ball's diameter was approximately .61-inch (15.5mm). Was there a pistol or musket in Europe which used a .61-inch lead ball?

Upvote 0
I suppose a bag seal is possible...also..welcome..ColinGilbertBlankseals.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back