Someone isnt refilling their holes in Rensselaer County, NY. Help with a....buckle?

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Someone isn't refilling their holes in Rensselaer County, NY. Help with a....buckle?

Hey! @#$%-stick! Refill your holes! You're going to mess up the area for the rest of us! Yeah, you know who you are. You keep leaving empty holes and the landowners aren't going to let us come back! Most of the foundations in this area of the county are Civil War ear homes, were damaged by a storm and abandoned around the 1920s. Found this beauty IN a hole the previously mentioned digger so kindly left unfilled. That's right dude, you broke two rules! You didn't refill your hole AND you didn't recheck it after you dug your first target! Anywho, anyone got any idea what the heck this thing is? I'm thinking it maybe part of a victorian era belt buckle but I'm no expert. Please tell me something good. I would love nothing more than to flame the previous digger some more!!!! It rang up real nice, consistent 77-78 on the DFX, is about the size of an i-Phone and is paper thin. Any help is appreciated. The two lighter spots on the top and bottom, left side of the first picture look like solder points to me. What would be soldered to it, I have no clue.

Attachments

• Buckle1.jpg
    Buckle1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Buckle2.jpg
    Buckle2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
!!YEAH refill them holes!!! even in a plowed field I refill holes!!!-please don't ruin it for your self and we who do---da Prof--

Upvote 0
Have run into the same problem here. Just in 1 park that I have seen so far. Dig a hole a foot square, throw the dirt all over, then leave a target in the hole. Good thing a creek was close by to "borrow" some fill dirt.

Best of luck,
Bill

Upvote 0
Here too, dead grass plugs foot square dirt everywhere thanks Savage! :BangHead:
Oh, I have no idea on your buckle, cool find though.

Upvote 0
There are people who detect as a hobby and there are people in it for the thought of making money. You can figure out who isn't filling in the holes and making a mess.

Upvote 0
It sure looks like a buckle backing. If it is very thin I'd guess it's part of a ladie's buckle. But it seems large for that.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Skrimpy (the object's finder) wrote:
> Still nobody knows for sure that is what this is?

It is definitely a sash buckle, and most probably from sometime in the 1800s. Because whatever emblem was on it is missing, there's no way to know for certain whether it is a lady's dress sash-buckle or a Military sash-buckle.

The four small holes in your buckle were for attaching an emblem or letters onto its front.

In your first post about it, you said "it is paper thin." That is how we know it is not a belt buckle. A sash is made of cloth, so a thin-bodied (light-duty) buckle is sufficient. A leather belt requires a thicker (heavy duty) buckle. You can verify that for yourself by comparing the thickness of civil war belt buckles with the thin-ness of civil war Military sash-buckles, in various civil war relic books.

In your first post, you also said "The two lighter spots on the top and bottom, left side of the first picture look like solder points to me. What would be soldered to it, I have no clue." The two solder-spots held a crossbar, for attaching the sash to one end of the buckle. The small tongue-shaped tab on your sash-buckle's back held the buckle's "keeper," to which the other end of the sash was attached.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back