SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this;

approx 4 inch long, with a shaped end and a small "handle"?? could this handle have been fitted into a wooden shaft perhaps??

the "flat" end of the cone seems little mushroomed as if its been struck many times??

Note; I am in construction, thats why Im thinking hammer (I am biased!)

any ideas??

thanks!!
IMGP0451.JPGIMGP0450.JPGIMGP0449.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP0448.JPG
    IMGP0448.JPG
    522.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMGP0447.JPG
    IMGP0447.JPG
    526.7 KB · Views: 161
You're from the Virgin ISLANDS, and your first inclination is a construction tool? :icon_scratch: The "handle" looks too thin to support an impact tool, anyway.

I'd hedge my guess on a sounding line weight or something of similar use.

Upvote 0
Wedge of some sort....wood splitting perhaps?

yes, that had crossed my mind, but its "traffic cone " shaped and the wedges i use are flat to slit the grain in one direction only?

Upvote 0
What type of metal is it?

It looks like there is a broken place at the flat part. Pehaps another "handle" was attached?

Any other relics found near it?

We need more info...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
it was found at a place where there is minimal trash. on a deserted island where the last inhabitants were loyaylists & british soldiers around 1800.
lots of cannons and military stuff around.

Upvote 0
so is it just the photo, or is there copper content in this piece?
I have some old stone working tools..that have a handle to make them double jacks...one person holds. the other swings the hammer.

Im no metal expert but that could be right. the location is remote and they may well have had to work local stone to build walls etc?

Upvote 0
if it is copper it could be the remains of some sort or blacksmiths soldering tool, but the handle part would have had to have been covered in wood at some time.

you say it looks like the top has been hammered on, but again, if copper, that is a pretty soft metal to be pounding. perhaps bronze?

in any case i would guess it is a one off tool made for a specific purpose by a blacksmith tying to solve a problem in his own ingenious way.

Upvote 0
Since it is only 4 inches long, I don't think it could do any heavy duty work, but I'm not the 'tool time' person.

Interesting
:) Breezie

Upvote 0
I'll try for some close up pics.... !

Upvote 0
perhaps a locally crafted coconut punch

Upvote 0
What is the length and the width (of largest part) of the triangular end? I have an idea, but need to know the dimensions.

:) Breezie

Upvote 0
im with secretcanyon on this, there have been many a times i wish i had a handle on a hand tool i had to hold while some one else smacked it with a hammer.
as for what it chipped/split i dont know , maybe bigfoot is right , it was made to knock a hole in coconuts ,,lol
but both items look hand forged and hand welded not machine ...just my opinion . :)

Upvote 0
Looks like an old fancy heavy duty coat hanger to me.

Upvote 0
log puller wedge --dive it into a log and tie a rope to pull cut logs with

Upvote 0
I've seen black powder splitting wedges that were similar to your item. They were driven in to the log, then a cavity was filled with black powder and lit. A movable part of the cast-steel splitter expanded and split the wood. They were often painted bright orange to make them easier to find as they often ended up a long ways away or destroyed if loaded with an excessive charge.

Upvote 0
here is one of the double jack type tools for stone working I have...it was found in the dump in Jerome, az...long time ago...the blade is around 5 inchs wide...the handle is around 30 inches.
hand forged...
when I asked about the copper flakes..i was going to suggest a copper wash or some gilding...but I think it was just the photo..

100_2226.JPG100_2224.JPG100_2228.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back