Some Sort of Tag?

proteus922

Mar 21, 2009
Midwest
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
I found this in our farmyard (114 year old farm). The name on the tag is my husbands grandfather who died in 1952. What do you think this tag was used for? It says "From: Chas Rathert" and "To: McLain Alcorn Comm Co St. Louis, Mo" Since it is "from" our grandfather, I don't understand how this tag was made. I can't believe that it was made here on the farm, but seems more like it would have been made by the company referenced. Do any of you have any thoughts? Thanks!

P1090944-Resize.JPG
P1090945-Resize.JPG

Reminds me of a personal railroad shipping tag. Any RR's nearby?

Upvote 0
I think the McLain Alcorn Commission Company of St. Louis, Mo had something to do with poultry, eggs, and butter. Did Grandpa have chickens/eggs/butter that he would be shipping? How far from the homestead is St. Louis? Perhaps he was shipping via train live chickens.

Neat find :)
Breezie
WELCOME to the forum!

Upvote 0
I agree with Breezie. Your grandfather probably had a whole batch of those tags made for continued shipments to that company. Maybe the one you found is an extra that got dropped before it was attached to a crate or maybe the crates came back empty to be refilled and the tag fell off in the yard.

Upvote 0
I have one as well

I found one this morning at an old farm,thanks for posting so I could figure it out.

IMG_0538.JPG

Upvote 0
Breezie....thanks for that info. You are right on, I think. The homestead (where I still live) is about 20 miles from St. Louis, and there was a train that passed by here less than 1/4 mile away. Now that train bed is a very nice bike trail! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back