Some recent finds, need help with buckle ID

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please excuse the pore quality of the pic if you can, the bent buckle gives me a military vibe and hoping one of yas recognize it.

buckel.jpg

I agree with you on the buckle, but can't say for sure.

Upvote 0
Sigh. Worthpoint is worth-less as far as being a trustworthy source of civil war relic identification. That version of buckle did not exist until at least 50 years after the end of the civil war. Specifically, it is a US World War One gasmask bag strap buckle. See the photos below. Note that one of the bags has the WW-1 soldier's name, unit, and battle-history written on it by the soldier. (The "F.A." stands for Field Artillery.) Maybe somebody will send that image to Worthpoint... but I doubt they'd care in the slightest. So, do NOT rely on Worthpoint about relic-ID -- nor rely on Ebay sellers.

Attachments

• WW1_buckle_gasmask-bag-strap_soldier-marked-bag_backview_451.jpg
    WW1_buckle_gasmask-bag-strap_soldier-marked-bag_backview_451.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 34
  • WW1_buckle_gasmask-bag-strap_soldier-marked-bag_frontview_451.bmp
    828.3 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 0
Sigh. Worthpoint is worth-less as far as being a trustworthy source of civil war relic identification. That version of buckle did not exist until at least 50 years after the end of the civil war. Specifically, it is a US World War One gasmask bag strap buckle. See the photos below. Note that one of the bags has the WW-1 soldier's name, unit, and battle-history written on it by the soldier. (The "F.A." stands for Field Artillery.) Maybe somebody will send that image to Worthpoint... but I doubt they'd care in the slightest. So, do NOT rely on Worthpoint about relic-ID -- nor rely on Ebay sellers.

Thanks TCBG for setting this straight. I did a post Civil War era search, but all I kept finding were the WWII era and later examples. The WP was the only one I found like the OPs, hence why I put the disclaimer.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Awesome ID CannonballGuy!! Thank you sir!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back