Some pics of stuff Ive cut

Merlyn555

Aug 28, 2009
Kingston, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Some pics of stuff I've cut

Well Cappy I'm very late getting these to you but I finally found a camera that even an idiot like me can get to work.

Here is the Ruby Rough I ordered and as you can see it is very shiny compared to the nice one you have. Yours is all natural and mine have been treated.

The first pic is a 1 1/2 ctw Congo Citrine I made for my daughter in law.

The combination pic is a 5 cwt African Amythest in a pear shape, a 1 cwt Herkimer Diamond, a 2 cwt Congo Citrine and a 5.5 cwt Herkimer Diamond.

The next ring is a 1.4 cwt Herkimer Diamond of my own design.

These are the best I've cut so far got a lot more to learn..... LOL

Hope you guys like them

Attachments

• Citrine2.jpg
    Citrine2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 380
  • CitrineRing.jpg
    CitrineRing.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 374
  • Combo.jpg
    Combo.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 378
  • Herk3.jpg
    Herk3.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 376
  • Herk2.jpg
    Herk2.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 383
  • Rubies.jpg
    Rubies.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 377
Re: Some pics of stuff I've cut

lol. If you are faceting...you are the bomb. I have no patience or time. The citrine is beautiful. Those rubies look like ripe red tiny apples ready to make some pretty woman smile......
:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Thanks for the compliment Cappy, I just started faceting stones about six months ago. Completely self taught and all my equipment is home made. I don't use one of those fancy machines that does everything for you I use what I call a modified jam peg that cost about fifty dollars for all the parts. You still gotta use your eyes and hands to do the real work.

The Rubies sure are pretty just sitting there and I never met a woman yet that could resist a sparkling stone regardless of size or color.

I got a problem with cutting my Ruby, I can't seem to get it to polish. I mean it just wont take the shine like it should. If I ever get this solved I'll post some pics of the finished product.

Upvote 0

Hi Wiz I got a little tip for you to try when it comes to polishing.

First you have to get some Cerium Oxide almost any grit will do to start with. You should be able to get this at any lapidary supply store for a reasonable price.

You take a bit of the Cerium Oxide and mix it with a small amount of water and make a thick paste out of it called a slurry.

You take this slurry and rub it on the facet you wish to polish and then using your dremel tool with a soft polish tip go at the facet spraying it with water every now and again to keep it loose. Eventually you will be polishing with just a tip soaked with water and it is this finally buffing with water that should help with the shine. I use basically the same method except I spread my slurry on my lap wheel.

I hope this helps you...

Upvote 0

Most of the faceters that I have talked to have been more than open and willing to help me learn so I guess you have just been visiting the wrong sites Wiz LOL

The 300 grit is good for harder stones but really marks up the softer ones like some quartz. When I polish I work my way up from 600 to 1700 grit and then apply and use the Cerium Oxide slurry and it gives most stones a very nice and even polish. The hard part is when you have a deep scratch you will have to go back to a rougher grit to get rid of it and then work your way back up the line.

Your use of the sand paper is exactly the same as my using different grad lap disks the principal is the same only the application is different. Use diamond sand paper or good quality corundum paper as these will be more consistant in quality.

Remember to use plenty of water it helps with the cutting and is imperative in the polishing.

anything else I can help you with just ask.

Upvote 0

If that video is your cutting system boy do I have some info for you to improve your ability to cut by 200 %. Your drip system is perfect but how do you control your rate of drip? I installed a plastic tap purchased from an aquarium store (the taps control the flow of air in the aquarium) for less than a dollar that allows me perfect water control.

If your wheel at the back of your splash cage can be turned so that it is on the bottom facing up I can give you a set of instructions I am presently making up for the stylus and control arm to make your own cutting machine. It will give you a degree of accuracy that you presently can not get and will cost you almost nothing in fact I am willing to bet you have most of the parts lying around your workshop.

If you are interested in receiving these instructions email me and I will send them to you. I'm still drawing them up so give me a few days to complete them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back