Attachments

• P1010596.JPG
    P1010596.JPG
    529.2 KB · Views: 69
  • P1010598.JPG
    P1010598.JPG
    521.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I would think its more likely a keychain/fob. I believe the United States Rubber Company became Uniroyal in 1961, so it has to be at least as old as that.

Upvote 0
I remember Keds Tennis shoes from the late 1940's, early 50's. Before Nike. they were canvass and rubber, came up above the ankle, and had round rubber things over the ankle bones. As far as I remember they had just one style for boys, but the girls had shoes that didn't come up over the ankle, and in different colors, but canvass and rubber. Just googled a couple of pictures. We had to have Keds shoes play basket ball, or even walk on the floor of the school gym. They were sold at the same store where you could look at an xray of your feet in a machine they had right by the door.
The first photo is off a 1950's TV commercial, the second is what I remember. I think the medallion is just an ad for the shoe, possibly used for keys or something similar.
keds.jpg
ked1.JPG

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info so far! I knew the medal was some kind of ad, but I don't know why I can't find anything on it...maybe it came in the box with the shoes, maybe it was a promo give away item. There's got to be a source that shows this particular item and the year(s) it was made. I hope it's something scarce, it's a cool find regardless.

Upvote 0
I remember Keds Tennis shoes from the late 1940's, early 50's. Before Nike. they were canvass and rubber, came up above the ankle, and had round rubber things over the ankle bones. As far as I remember they had just one style for boys, but the girls had shoes that didn't come up over the ankle, and in different colors, but canvass and rubber. Just googled a couple of pictures. We had to have Keds shoes play basket ball, or even walk on the floor of the school gym. They were sold at the same store where you could look at an xray of your feet in a machine they had right by the door.
The first photo is off a 1950's TV commercial, the second is what I remember. I think the medallion is just an ad for the shoe, possibly used for keys or something similar.

Mine were the Red Ball Jets, Yeah you'd get yelled at for walking on a finished wooden gym floor for sure in your street shoes. Teachers back then would say HEY! DUMMY, get off of there with your street shoes. Now days I think a kid can file a verbal abuse case against a faculty member for calling ya a dummy.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Icewing and everyone else who replied. I appreciate the added research and information. I thought I could easily find another photo of this someplace, especially online but I haven't yet..I will mark this as "solved" in a week or so, even if there isn't a definitive ID or photo of another one somewhere. Makes me think it may be a rarity. Either way, a cool piece of Americana from a place where a house once stood in Midwest suburbia.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back