Some kind of jewelrymajigger

Bates

Jul 27, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This had another piece that went on the back but it was so tiny that when I dropped it I couldn't find it again but it has like a little arm sticking out of the back still. T 0914182333.jpg0914182329d.jpg0914182329.jpghe penny is for size demonstration

Looks like a piece that goes on the stock of a gun. Near the grip of the stock.

Upvote 0
Are they that teeny that gun part?

Upvote 0
Part of a cufflink.

Upvote 0
Part of a cufflink.

I agree with rook. probably dates between 1900-1920

I don't think I have seen cufflinks with this type of attachment or construction before. After blowing it up and enhancing the image, I don't think it is a musket stock inlay either. Looks to me now more like a leather decoration, perhaps off of a belt or horse blinder .. or something of that nature. Maybe even a bridle brow band accoutrement.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 10.51.23 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 10.51.23 AM.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Holed ,both ends.
The center shows it had studs or similar , for???

Cuff-link did come to mind.

An escutcheon for a gunstock was limited only by the makers whim. Many were consistent ,but reflected different era's and "schools" of build. (School meaning region and nationality type of gunbuilding ,sometimes blended with locale's desires and influence.)

Grotesque for example were popular in a place and time.

Few were pinned or nailed but rather carefully inlaid.

Pistol butts could have a cap or similar ,and two fasteners would be fine. Too ,a stud inletted in the wood could have been employed.
None come to mind that are similar though.

With the liberty of artistic creation ,and humidity vs dryness causing wood to expand and contract ,could a gun maker secure a thumbpiece on top of a stocks wrist so securely? Sure.

Never viewed cuff-links holed like the o.p.'s sample ,but jewelers had creative liberty too. L.o.l..

An inlay for a walking stick/cane?

Some well to do lady's brush handle?

Ornate bling for something. Makes it a keeper find....

Upvote 0
Looking even closer at the attachment detail, I might even suggest a bolo slide.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 22 2018-09-15 at 10.51.23 AM_edited-2.jpg
    Screen Shot 22 2018-09-15 at 10.51.23 AM_edited-2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 0
Whatever was attached to the back like ejected when I touched it and I couldn't find it again I wish I could it was teenie weenie though there is a stone in the middle of it I don't know if it's glass or what I don't want to take it apart to see I think it's cool whatever it is

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back