Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely a ball bearing used as a shooter in a marble game, or just a bearing a kid brought to school and lost. (I always played with them, from marble size to the big one's the size of a baseball)

Upvote 0
What, no pics?
Ball bearing is my only guess.

Upvote 0
I have read that some folks would load about anything they could find into the Brown Bess, including stones and whatever else was handy in times of need. I would guess ball bearing though in this case since their is no pic. Generally the corrosion on these ball bearing round balls fall off rather easily in electrolysis and after doing so look for a seam or a sprue, otherwise we will call it not a round ball.

Upvote 0
I've been out of town and didn't realize that I forgot pictures! duh. Here they are...

DSC02192.JPGDSC02193.JPG

aj

Upvote 0
Since you're in upstate NY it is porbably a Revolutionary war or War of 1812 grapeshot. Research the area you found it. Shot out of cannons.

Upvote 0
Most likely a ball bearing used as a shooter in a marble game, or just a bearing a kid brought to school and lost. (I always played with them, from marble size to the big one's the size of a baseball)

I'm with vhs. Since it was found in a school yard I'm thinking it is likely a 'steely shooter' used in a marbles game.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I have read that some folks would load about anything they could find into the Brown Bess, including stones and whatever else was handy in times of need. I would guess ball bearing though in this case since their is no pic. Generally the corrosion on these ball bearing round balls fall off rather easily in electrolysis and after doing so look for a seam or a sprue, otherwise we will call it not a round ball.

There will never be a sprue on iron spheres, sprues occur on lead but not steel or iron. In fact early cannonballs were made in two pieces and welded together and the seam is visible. The item in question is too small for grape shot, and there were no ball bearings in the revolutionary era. Sure looks like a ball bearing to me.

Upvote 0
could be a ball from the bottom of a stand or rack looks like it has a flat spot on it where it may have been welded at one time?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back