Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s been the year of fragments for me, picked up a couple the other day I know they aren’t much to look at but they both are a touch odd. I know it’s not much for the eyes but for those that like to look deeper here’s what I’ve got to contribute for now.

The first one is a nice white material was probably a complete biface. The odd thing is the wear pattern around one break, at first I thought maybe they tried to save it but now I’m leaning towards the idea maybe they continued to use the tool even after the chip in the blade.
IMG_1996.jpeg
IMG_1995.jpeg
IMG_1994.jpeg
IMG_1993.jpeg
IMG_1992.jpeg

This next one id say was never finished due to the fossils in it, my question is the straighter side a break and it was once somewhat finished around or did the fossil on the end cause it to snap and they tossed it right there and then

First two I’m not sure if this side is broken or just an untouched edge, usually breaks are more around 90 deg.
IMG_2001.jpeg
IMG_2002.jpeg

Here’s the fossil in the end of another break that would be the mid point of the piece
IMG_2003.jpeg

And a few showing where they were working it more
IMG_2004.jpeg
IMG_2005.jpeg

Upvote 6
The first one has an interesting break. Almost looks like there was a flaw in that material that broke out a piece of conglomerate of some type. I'm not sure about the wear pattern I see what you mean. Looks to me like maybe it's River wear.

found them on an old cabin site on top of a bluff, I wouldn’t think river wear unless someone brought it up from the river a long time ago. Always thought it was funny that white people decided this was a good spot and so did the native Americans, considering it’s a rather small area with a deep wash wrapping most of the way around it.

I have a lot of broken points with fossils in them from here in Florida. I think yours was complete but broke during use. Look how thin it is.
So do you think the edge that doesn’t show secondary flaking broke at an odd angle? I’d agree with you 100? If I saw some touching all the way around but with the one side I hesitate, but I appreciate the input, you may be right.

Just to be a little more clear with what I’m trying to say the circled part is the bit I’m not sure if it’s an odd break and it originally came around sort of like a cobbs
IMG_2005.jpeg

Also sometimes I wonder why a person would toss a piece like that, seems like you could still get a dart or an arrowhead out of it… maybe that does hint it was broken during use

That looks like really rough material to knap. Grainy and likely really tough. They had to make do with what they had I guess. Even the best knapper can only do so much with material like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back