Some discrimination trials.

Chilli

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Hey guys. Recently I have given the Algo a good trial in spots, undug targets in various diggings.
The discrimination has been pretty decent on lead shotgun pellets with the majority reading zeros. This was when the Algo could register them in disc. Faint targets in normal were not heard in Disc. So anyway, 80% that it heard from say bird shot up to number 6? would consistently read zeros. Larger BB type read 10 and a bit above though and steel shots were low to high teens 12 to 18.
That's where personally I bail out of trusting its discrimination looking for gold. Shotty pellets.
Steel, iron bits were reading all over the place. Some up into the 80s. I had them read from mid teen numbers to the 80s. I'll show a few.
This was several inches deep, actually close to 8 inches. When discrimination started reading it, it ID'd at 84. A two ounce test nugget I had with me reads 80.
IMG_20240810_121854939~3.jpg

This piece read 38, and another bit of gold, the bit in my avatar reads 34.
IMG_20240810_121847245~2.jpg

This one read 25.
IMG_20240810_123021843~2.jpg

And this 18.
IMG_20240810_123328390_HDR~2.jpg

It did well to be honest on the lead shotgun pellets which are a total pain in many places. I'll give it the thumbs up for that.
To me it didn't rate discriminating iron though.

Upvote 1
How about using a magnet to remove much of the steel shot / other steel in the search hole as you dig trying to remove unwanted targets?

Hey guys. Recently I have given the Algo a good trial in spots, undug targets in various diggings.
The discrimination has been pretty decent on lead shotgun pellets with the majority reading zeros. This was when the Algo could register them in disc. Faint targets in normal were not heard in Disc. So anyway, 80% that it heard from say bird shot up to number 6? would consistently read zeros. Larger BB type read 10 and a bit above though and steel shots were low to high teens 12 to 18.
That's where personally I bail out of trusting its discrimination looking for gold. Shotty pellets.
Steel, iron bits were reading all over the place. Some up into the 80s. I had them read from mid teen numbers to the 80s. I'll show a few.
This was several inches deep, actually close to 8 inches. When discrimination started reading it, it ID'd at 84. A two ounce test nugget I had with me reads 80.
View attachment 2164228
This piece read 38, and another bit of gold, the bit in my avatar reads 34.
View attachment 2164229
This one read 25.
View attachment 2164230
And this 18.
View attachment 2164231
It did well to be honest on the lead shotgun pellets which are a total pain in many places. I'll give it the thumbs up for that.
To me it didn't rate discriminating iron though.
I like the crusty with some thickness targets you show that are not a thin film types of targets that will give a lower reading. Gives some hope to many who are not accustom to finding targets with a metal detector.

How about using a magnet to remove much of the steel shot / other steel in the search hole as you dig trying to remove unwanted targets?
Hi. I and others have tried numerous things over the years. Maybe the best was to get a 18" coil cover and stick magnets all over the top side of it and sweep it over the ground attached to a broomstick. That would pick up quite a bit of on the top of ground magnetic items including some ironstone bits. Not all but it would greatly reduce it a fair bit. Shot pellets here are very numerous and typically on the surface or just below. The steel ones are nowhere near in number as the lead ones. The Algo is quite good at picking through those shot ridden spots given it reads zeros on the majority. You'll still dig up some but most no. Mostly the ground where I am is quite hard digging through compact gravels and clay. All of those were hard digging. A magnet can help when its all dug out to see if its magnetic but after 30 yrs I have learnt to zero in on my dug out target in under 20 seconds dumping the dirt with it on my coil and find the target in 10. So 30 seconds all up usually. I found using a magnet more time consuming really especially with non magnetic things.
Im sorry to anyone who uses garden trowels but I have to laugh when watching videos of guys getting gold and going through the dirt with trowel full after trowel full dumping bit by bit of dirt in their hand taking several minutes to sift through it all. Down on their knees all the time too. Man those guys need to experiment a bit with different recovery techniques 😆
I dont even get on the ground and do it all standing upright.
Targets in the dirt and I know where it is, I use my boot to push it on to the flat scrape blade of the pick, quick sweep over the other, yep I got it, tip it on the coil and lift it up, push it around and bingo recovered in way under a minute.
I do get the trowel thing with open web coils though, I hate those things as you cant do the turbo easy recovery method and they get caught up in everything in the bush.

And sold. Too much of an unfinished, released too early without propper field testing project for my liking with a bit of internet influencing behind it to boot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back