Solved: What kind of stone tool?

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this at a site in Southern Arizona that was littered with literally thousands of pottery shards. There were shards scattered everywhere over several hundred yards.
This was the only stone item I found today although there were some pretty suspect looking flakes. The sides of this piece were definitely worn flat and the ends were pounded/ground down.
What do you think it is? I don't know that much about indian artifacts or archaeology. I certainly looks like something I've seen on Treasurenet before but can't remember exactly what it was. Thanks

5545237351_3a04ff159d_b.jpg

5545814834_cc925df4a1_b.jpg

5545816412_a899473760_b.jpg

Woohoo thanks so much! I knew it looked familiar.
I'm definitely heading back to that site when I get some more time.
Have a nice evening.

Upvote 0
Any idea why its so blunt and not more "axe-like" with an edge on it?
Was it used more for pounding maybe fibrous plants or something?
I understand a celt in the eastcoast would probably look a lot different than a celt in the southwest because there'd be different fauna the native people's would encounter. Not too many oak and pines trees down in the desert although there's some pretty tough mesquite.

Upvote 0
GreyGhost said:
I understand a celt in the eastcoast would probably look a lot different than a celt in the southwest because there'd be different fauna the native people's would encounter. Not too many oak and pines trees down in the desert although there's some pretty tough mesquite.

Do you have pictures of the other side? there is a chance it could have been used to crush, pound and grind, but can't say without more pictures. (Mano, Pestle?)

Upvote 0
Treasure_Hunter said:
GreyGhost said:

Do you have pictures of the other side? there is a chance it could have been used to crush, pound and grind, but can't say without more pictures. (Mano, Pestle?)

Much more likely the case :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Treasure_Hunter said:
GreyGhost said:

The first photo is the right side and it has been ground pretty flat and smooth. The second photo is the left side and it has been ground down too but its not quite as flat and smooth.
The third photo is obviously a shot of one end of the object and the opposite end is just as blunt. You can kind of tell from the third photo the right and left symmetry of the object.

Upvote 0
GreyGhost said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
GreyGhost said:

The first photo is the right side and it has been ground pretty flat and smooth. The second photo is the left side and it has been ground down too but its not quite as flat and smooth.
The third photo is obviously a shot of one end of the object and the opposite end is just as blunt. You can kind of tell from the third photo the right and left symmetry of the object.

Sorry, I left the last "s" off on "sides", I was talking about the long narrow sides, they appear to heavy wear on them like they have been used to grind, but hard to tell from the pictures....

No matte what it is, it is a really nice find......... :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Treasure_Hunter said:
GreyGhost said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
GreyGhost said:

Sorry, I left the last "s" off on "sides", I was talking about the long narrow sides, they appear to heavy wear on them like they have been used to grind, but hard to tell from the pictures....

No matte what it is, it is a really nice find......... :icon_thumright:

Ah, got it. If I get time today I'll post pics of the "top" and "bottom" I guess we can call it.
Thanks for the compliments, I was really hooting and hollering when I found it ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back