New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All!
Got another mysterious thing..
I've dug several of the crosshatched tubes before, figured they were lipsticks.
Now this more complete unit comes up
I can say the wingnut and threads rotate independently of the tube, it measures about 2-1/2", and would screw onto a 7/16 - 1/2 " nipple.
the gasket is flexible, resembles rubber with embedded fibers.
Valvestem cover has been suggested.
It reminds me of the piece above the valve on an 'old fashioned' steam home heating radiator.
I think they were a pretty common item, I got a reply from another member who has found the crosshatched tubes.
Thanks for looking & HH :thumbsup:

Attachments

• NH FINDS 06-14 007.jpg
    NH FINDS 06-14 007.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 667
  • NH FINDS 06-14 007.jpg
    NH FINDS 06-14 007.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 588
  • NH FINDS 06-14 008.jpg
    NH FINDS 06-14 008.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 605
  • NH FINDS 06-14 009.jpg
    NH FINDS 06-14 009.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 592
Re: Valve stem cover? Radiator safety Valve?

I have been wondering for some time if they weren't some type of a grease supply fitting. And now yours with a wingnut makes me wonder all the more. I found a grease cap that the mfg. info on it helped me figure it out. They held grease in a strategic place that the joint used as it needed it. Model T, I think. And the specific one didn't look at all like ours (more like a small cream jar lid) but who knows? I suspect that the rough, unfinished nature of the beast makes it a hidden auto part of some sort.

I am interested in what you find out.

Upvote 0

I havent seen one with a wing nut but here are some valve stem cap examples, Model T included.

Attachments

• valve stem cover.jpg
    valve stem cover.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 3,805
  • valve stem cover.jpg
    valve stem cover.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 807
Upvote 0

bigcypresshunter said:
I havent seen one with a wing nut but here are some valve stem cap examples, Model T included.
Thanks for the pic BCH, they look to be about the same size, (large)
and all show some knurling, so I'm thinking it's a stem cap
we'll let it ride for a bit :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Valve stem caps as in tire valve stems? Interesting--did they screw onto the base of the valve at the wheel or something? It appears that some have a valve core remover. I guess they don't have to be too spit and polished to be on wheels.

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger said:
Valve stem caps as in tire valve stems? Interesting--did they screw onto the base of the valve at the wheel or something? It appears that some have a valve core remover. I guess they don't have to be too spit and polished to be on wheels.
yes tire valve stem. Here is a picture (not mine) found in images of a Model T valve stem cap. I see a nut at the base but I dont know if any used wing nuts so I would hold the green check for now. :dontknow:

Attachments

• valve stem model T.jpg
    valve stem model T.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,953
Upvote 0

bigcypresshunter said:
High Plains Digger said:
yes tire valve stem. Here is a picture (not mine) found in images of a Model T valve stem cap. I see a nut at the base but I dont know if any used wing nuts so I would hold the green check for now. :dontknow:
Thanks again BCH!
you are a great researcher :notworthy:
I will add that the other tubes I've found display identical knurling to the one shown in OP. ( they are identical in all respects except they've lost the wingnut.)
I will try to find some others from the junkpile, and maybe match up some found wingnuts too.
The general area where these were found yields many auto parts from early 20th century, Brass hubcaps, carb throat, taillight shroud etc.
Best Digs All :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

It appears they afforded a lot of protection for the "primitive" valve stems. I will claim a piggyback ID confirmation off this one, also. It is good to know that I am now smarter than I was yesterday. Great info.

Upvote 0

Thanks to all! especially BCH :notworthy:
due to similarity to items in your photo, I'm satisfied on this as a valve cover.
Still open to suggestions if anyone can top this.
Great Work :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
It appears that participation goes down in the summer months. Everyone is out metal detecting or working.

Upvote 0
rtde3 said:
Herbie,
I guess I was right about it being a valve stem back on your origanal post!
Lucky guess, though I was a mechanic back in the day! :D
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,407347.0.html
That was a great start rtde3!
I probably wouldn't have sent it here without your suggestion :wink:
Quite surprised that the experts haven't posted an exact match :icon_scratch:
BCH's collection is proof enough for me ;D
Here's the Ford Shroud and Carb throat found nearby.
Thanks & HH to all :thumbsup:

Attachments

• NC FINDS 9-21 001.jpg
    NC FINDS 9-21 001.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 394
  • NC FINDS 02-10005.jpg
    NC FINDS 02-10005.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 365
  • NC FINDS 02-10005.jpg
    NC FINDS 02-10005.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 337
  • NC FINDS 9-21 001.jpg
    NC FINDS 9-21 001.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 0
Thanks ! I've been finding these at a site lately, wasnt sure what they were ! I found some "ford" wheel /hub cover thingys nearby, should have associated them ! :tongue3:

Upvote 0
terryo said:
Thanks ! I've been finding these at a site lately, wasnt sure what they were ! I found some "ford" wheel /hub cover thingys nearby, should have associated them ! :tongue3:
Thanks All!
Rtde3, You did offer the ID on this in my todays finds Post!
jeez, the old brain is slippin lately, Great Stuff :wink:
terryo, I got a few old caps too, seems to be the smaller, the earlier,
punch vintage Ford Hubcaps into your searchbox, you should find a site to date your caps... Best to everyone :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back