SOLVED!!! Metal Plate from old movie?

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
Okay, I have no idea what this is, but it is a metal plate about the size of a bicycle license plate (you know, the ones w/kids names on it), but heavier. It has mirror image text that says "Scene from the photothriller Wanted for Murder".

I can find the movie (1946), but can't find anything like this on the internet. Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

Posted on the Texas TN site and (thank you!) Ron and Ann found the exact plate picture. Found in Feb 1, 1919 Newark Advocate newspaper. Pretty cool find I think!

Attachments

• pring plate.jpg
    pring plate.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 335
Re: Metal Plate from old movie?

Seeing as the text is pretty generic, not stating a specific scene, could it be a mold that created the title sign that would have been displayed with assorted posters from that Movie??

Upvote 0

GpSnoopy said:
Seeing as the text is pretty generic, not stating a specific scene, could it be a mold that created the title sign that would have been displayed with assorted posters from that Movie??

I guess it's possible, but seems kinda small for a poster stamp. But since it is mirrored, it seems likely it was used as a stamp for something related to the movie. It was found under a really old oak trunk that was overturned in Hurricane Ike. Don't really know how old though. Thanks for the input!

Upvote 0

Looks like it could have been a printers plate for the smaller lobby cards that often had actual scenes from the movie printed on them, cool find! :thumbsup:

(similar to this one)

Attachments

• vertigo.jpg
    vertigo.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 422
Upvote 0

I didn't read the post right the first time. I thought it was a lot larger than that.

The rubber stamp makes more sense now. Just stamp the pictures or posters or forms. Many years ago, I helped my parents make rubber stamps with their home based equipment. I can see this being the metal mold that creates the matrix form that the actual rubber is vulcanized with in the hot press. Here's a link explaining what I mean.

http://www.dotcalmvillage.net/nowwhatzineaug02/behindthescenesaug.html

Edit: Didn't see Blacksheep's reply while working on this post. That's also very plausible, just wondering how they were able to keep the ink so neat seeing as all the lettering is inset into the plate, like it is.

Upvote 0

My opinion is that it's a Die(or the plate for)for Printers block for Lobby Cards,not the actual posters(to small)for the movies...is it like a heavy pot metal type of material?,a little flexible?? i have seen similar,i have alot of printer blocks but those are made of copper(mine at least)...like i said"My Opinion", have fun!

Upvote 0

tokenhead said:
My opinion is that it's a Die(or the plate for)for Printers block for Lobby Cards,not the actual posters(to small)for the movies...is it like a heavy pot metal type of material?,a little flexible?? i have seen similar,i have alot of printer blocks but those are made of copper(mine at least)...like i said"My Opinion", have fun!
it is kinda like that...actually, it has a thin piece of lead-looking metal on top of the hard metal. the thin part is very flexible. Also, there are small pointed spikes on the back.

Attachments

• IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    373.7 KB · Views: 399
Upvote 0

myelo1023 said:
tokenhead said:
it is kinda like that...actually, it has a thin piece of lead-looking metal on top of the hard metal. the thin part is very flexible. Also, there are small pointed spikes on the back.
Ya sound's like thats what it is,Cool!Blacksheep knew that too,have fun!!

Upvote 0

tokenhead said:
myelo1023 said:
tokenhead said:
Ya sound's like thats what it is,Cool!Blacksheep knew that too,have fun!!

Cool! Do you all think it was made around the time the movie came out, or newer than that? Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

I've looked all over the internet and can't find any poster or lobby card that has this text on it. Wonder who i could send it to.

Upvote 0

tokenhead said:

You are right....it is copper over a plate. I have piece that bent off and it is copper. Also, on top of the text, I can see what appears to be a hand and a cuff.

Attachments

• IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 371
Upvote 0

myelo1023 said:
tokenhead said:

You are right....it is copper over a plate. I have piece that bent off and it is copper. Also, on top of the text, I can see what appears to be a hand and a cuff.
Sure does look like a hand cuffed!!! Good Eye!

Upvote 0

tokenhead said:
myelo1023 said:
tokenhead said:

Sure does look like a hand cuffed!!! Good Eye!

After cleaning a little more...I found a face. it is a profile of a man (I think) turned slightly away. See if you can see it. I feel like I'm taking a psychological inkblot test!

Attachments

• Face.JPG
    Face.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 332
Upvote 0

Here is your printing plate....in print....

Attachments

• 11-15-2008 11-23-44 PM.jpg
    11-15-2008 11-23-44 PM.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 323
  • 11-15-2008 11-23-44 PM.jpg
    11-15-2008 11-23-44 PM.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 309
Upvote 0
myelo1023 said:
Okay, I have no idea what this is, but it is a metal plate about the size of a bicycle license plate (you know, the ones w/kids names on it), but heavier. It has mirror image text that says "Scene from the photothriller Wanted for Murder".

I can find the movie (1946), but can't find anything like this on the internet. Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

Posted on the Texas TN site and (thank you!) Ron and Ann found the exact plate picture. Found in Feb 1, 1919 Newark Advocate newspaper. Pretty cool find I think!

That is so cool!! I can't believe you found that in Texas!!

Upvote 0
mimipark said:
myelo1023 said:

That is so cool!! I can't believe you found that in Texas!!

Hey Mimi!!! I got your first post!! now THAT's a find! (okay ya'll....this is my sister)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back