Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSCN6041.JPG
    DSCN6041.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 286
Re: Lead

100+ years ago people used lead for many different things. It is easy to melt and form into any shape and was used for making everything from kid's toys to plumbing pipe solder. It looks like your farmer made extensive use of it.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

some of that looks like melted alluminum to me?Common to find around Bonfires.That being said I used to have a site that I pulled a five gallon bucket of melted lead from!As said,lead was used for everything down to pipes!

Upvote 0

Thank you DCMatt and Kuger,
I appreciate the knowledge and it makes sense, I have no idea what any of the metal is, I just assumed it was lead!

Upvote 0
I found somthing like this in my back yard. From the shape of it i assumed it was some kind of solder splatter and that it was mostly lead. I don't know. That is why I was looking on here.

Upvote 0
Can you crease it with your thumb nail? Lead is that soft. Wheel weights won't crease, they have tin in them and are harder. Back in the day of slow moving vehicles, like horse drawn wagons etc. babbit was used for bearings. Babbit melts like lead or pewter, but is too hard to crease, because like wheel weights, there is tin in it. Depending on where you are finding it, and the hardness would give you an idea if they were pouring bearings, (hard) or casting round ball bullets, (soft) or plumbers lead, also on the softer side, because once poured it was pounded to expand and seal the joint.

Upvote 0
When they first produced, canned foods the tins were sealed with lead solder. If they were later thrown in a fire the lead would melt into odd shapes like what you have found. This is probably what may be your case.

Upvote 0
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Some melted lead was made mainly by soldiers during the Civil War for chess pieces, checker pieces, and poker chips... Gotta keep an eye out for odd looking melted lead, being a civil war digger i dig my share of this melted lead not the most funniest thing to dig up but least its something!

Upvote 0
Some melted lead was made mainly by soldiers during the Civil War for chess pieces, checker pieces, and poker chips... Gotta keep an eye out for odd looking melted lead, being a civil war digger i dig my share of this melted lead not the most funniest thing to dig up but least its something!
That is a good point, I have learned to not throw away anything until I can clean enough gunk off of it to see it. I almost threw away a revolutionary war item, because gunked up it looked like a food can lid.
View attachment 748745 The writing in this second photo was from the magazine article that the black and white photo was from.View attachment 748746

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back