Attachments

• DSCN6031.JPG
    DSCN6031.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCN6037.JPG
    DSCN6037.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 201
Re: Button Help Please!

The domed eagle button is perhaps a civil war button. Looks like a general service one. I don't know bullets, but that C button may be a Confederate button?? :dontknow:

Pretty sure the flat eagle one is a WWII era marine button.

Upvote 0

#1 looks like a snap off coveralls or work clothing.

#2 could be a Civil War era uniform button

#3 looks like a WWII era uniform button.

Nice finds!

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Never seen a CW button that looks like the C button. Don't think it is at all.
The eagle is a general service CW era button
The last one is a great seal button. They were used from WWI till modern day.
Nice finds.

Upvote 0

The first button appears to be a late 19th or early 20th century button with a company logo, possibly for overalls or a company uniform. Most definitely unrelated to anything Confederate, or Civil War.

Button #2 is indeed a U.S. military general service button. However, the skinnier eagle and narrow "V" shaped shield clearly define this as post-Civil War style. This style of button was adopted in 1875, and transitioned into use in subsequent years, until being replaced by the Great Seal style eagle button in 1902.

Button #3 in a Great Seal eagle button, in military use throughout much of the 20th century.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0

I'm glad to see CC Hunter step in and clear up the fog. I agree with him about each of the three buttons. I'll add that button #3 (a US Army "Great Seal" button) has a raised rim/border around its front, so it is from approximately-1910-or-later. The backmark is probably "City Button Works / NY" -- which matches the approximately-1910-or-later dating.

According to the McGuinn-&-Bazelon book on button backmarks, the "City Button Works" was the Erlanger & Liebman Company of new York ...and during World Wars 1 and 2 that company shifted its entire manufacturing capacity to making only US Militay buttons.

Upvote 0

Wow, some great knowledge out there once again! I will consider it solve. I may post the overall button again at a later date just to see if someone can find the maker. I have spent hours trying to find this button!

Thank you all for taking your time to help me out once again :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back