Solid gold or silver watch piece

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I was out at a local park today with my friend Bob. We found some clad, pull tabs, and misc. junk.

I found this item near the fence line of a baseball field.
It beeped solid silver on my machine, so I thought a quarter since I found some already. Since its was damaged I thought heck its junk and threw it in my pouch. Bob tested it, and it rang out pure silver on his.

I cleaned it up and it's solid gold looking (I don't have a gold setting so it comes up as silver on mine). It is tarnished a bit. I found out that it is an old watch piece. Has the 2 pieces on both sides I guess where the screw goes into the watch band, and a cut out hole for the dial on the side, and it's grooved in the back for the watch backing. It's quite heavy for its size. So maybe it's silver or gold plated? I wish it wasn't so damaged.

The pictures aren't good, I am sorry. Not sure why the gold in the back came up as gray on the scanner. But oh well!

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 351
  • watch2.jpg
    watch2.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 384
  • watch3.jpg
    watch3.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 343
If it rang up as silver on your detector it can't be gold as gold will ring up in the nickel-pulltab-foil range. It probably is like some pulltabs that ring up as silver coins and turn out to be a bent up pull tab. My guess is that it is plated. Is it magnetic? Monty

Upvote 0
That's a pretty good find for your first time there, we will find something really good I am sure. That big tree has to have an old coin under it hiding in all those pulltabs.

Upvote 0
Monty said:
If it rang up as silver on your detector it can't be gold as gold will ring up in the nickel-pulltab-foil range. It probably is like some pulltabs that ring up as silver coins and turn out to be a bent up pull tab. My guess is that it is plated. Is it magnetic? Monty

I just tested it to see if its magnetic and it isn't, not even a tiny bit. So that's a good thing right?

@RJH02 Oh yeah man, has to be. Could be one just sitting right underneath a pull tab so you can't pick it up. Just need to clean the area.

Upvote 0
Not magnetic is probably good as it may indeed be gold plated silver. I hope so. You're definately on the right track, hunting along a fence line and finding the ring, because many times you will get a false silver because of the metal in the fence.....assuming it wasn't a board fence. But being able to distinguish between the false fence signal and a ring close by means you are listening, looking and weighing the clues and making a right decision to dig. Congratulations and keep at it.

M :thumbsup: nty

Upvote 0
It was a chain link fence, however I was closer to the fence any other noteable object. But I was probably 6 feet from fence.

Upvote 0
Six feet is a bit far for the fence to be interfering. So, I would hate to hazard a guess as to what it really was. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back