solid brass pick

L

lookstwice

spent some time around an old farmhouse saturday...mostly clad coins, a 1945 silver dime, hame hooks from harness, and a solid brass pick head (wooden handle gone)...it's stamped made in usa but no manufacturer...asking around someone said maybe it was used around gas lines or somewhere making a spark with a steel pick might be problematic...sound right?

Upvote 0
sorry, but i'm picture incompetent...but a regular sized pick head...tapered and slightly curved on both sides about 32 inches from end to end...not a "grubbing hoe" as we say in the south where one side is wider and flatter but each side is a mirror image of the other and if you swung it into the ground (probably to remove a rock) you'd make a hole about an inch and a half in diameter

Yeah, i know what you mean. I dont have pic capabilities yet, also. You may have hit it on the head with the gas line theory as it sure wouldnt spark when struck on rocks. Bet they had to sharpen it often as the brass is way softer than steel and the point would go quick. Nice digs, and maybe Buckram will come up with an answer on it 8)

Some minning companys also used brass picks for reasons known as gas pockets. Hope that helps! HH! Chris

Coal miners used brass underground, methane gas. Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back