soft silver ring with amethyst stone

Chris121801

Greenie
Jan 23, 2007
this ring was found almost 40 years ago but has never been examined by anyone who knows where it is from.
im looking for someone who might know something about the lettering or markings inscibed on this ring any information would be helpful even to know what approximate time period it is from. I have a picture of the ring with the stone and a good closeup of what appears to be a jewelers mark and a pictorial but they will not fit on this forum.

Attachments

• ring backed off.jpg
    ring backed off.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 859
  • ring backed off.jpg
    ring backed off.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 866
  • inscription ptjpeg.jpg
    inscription ptjpeg.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 387
  • in box.jpg
    in box.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 378
nice ring ,are you sure of the stone? have you looked at it in different types of light?
it could be alexandrite which is a nice stone to have,google alexandrite and research what you find,also do the light tests and see if it changes color.
can't help with the hallmarks,maybe someone else will ,thanks for the post.

Mark

Upvote 0
A very beautiful work of art!
If it is alexandrite it is VERY valuable. Alexandrite is a very rare gemstone and mined only in Russia. I am a hobbyist silver and goldsmith and have worked with many precious and semi-precious stones and can tell you that you have a really nice piece of jewelry. You should take it to a reputable jeweler and have it appraised and then be sure to keep it locked and insured.
You lucky dog!
Scott

Upvote 0
What a gorgeous ring! A huge gemstone, and the hallmark would have to be examined to try to get the age. I'm guessing 1930-40s somewhere, but the mounting styles are different depending on where the jewlers are, and I presume that writing is Mandarin Chinese, so it may even be a bit earlier. The important thing is that it's an exquisite ring that looks very wearable and a great find.

Upvote 0
it's not an alexandrite.
the alexandrites that you see in that size are ALWAYS synthetic.
(very common and popular during the 1930s-1940s)
it's more than likely an amethyst
or a large amethyst paste (glass)
it is a very lovely ring though.
my guess would be victorian through art nouveau by the style
(1880-1920)

Upvote 0
Did you ever find out more about the ring? It shure is a beautiful find! Congrats!

Upvote 0
Beautiful ring for sure ;D
It looks looks the stone is out of it in the 1st pic???

Tim

Upvote 0
I don't think the pavilion is deep enough for it to be amethyst. Amethyst wouldn't have any sparkle with a shallow pavilion because of its refractive index........At least in my experience.

Upvote 0
If you cannot read the Chinese and with wrong code, please try the UTF-8 unicode to view.
I do not have knowledge on antiques. I am Chinese in Hong Kong. I can help the translation.

The first two Chinese stamping are :
全 -- means all / complete
聚-- means join together / unoin

The two Chinese word means all together , just like family/friend gathering
I guess it is the name of the goldsmith shop.
Do you know Peiking Duck in Beijing, China ? That famous shop uses the name 全聚德
It is similar , of course totally not related this story, I just to show many shops using these names.

another stamping looks like "??? silver"-- in Chinese is 紋銀,正銀 or 文銀 real silver meaning
It is too corroded, but the last word 銀 is very similar

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back