So, is this a "ring" ring, or just a ring of metal?

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, is this a "ring" ring, or just a ring of metal?

Found this out from town, near a revolutionary war site where my buddies dug 15 musket balls and an 1817 large cent the day before. This area has been wooded for a while and recently looged for development. Most of the finds were in the scraped road area and deep. I wandered off the road into the gnarly area and got a dozen or so shotgun shell brass (aggravating things) and the one ball in the photo..... then heard a whisper from the machine...same signal on a different mode...so it wasn't junk according to the Tesoro...as I dug, the signal got louder with each shovel of dirt removed...over a foot deep at least, a pile of dirt comes out, I scan it and the machine goes nuts.
So here is this ring...one of the thrills of hunting is wondering what in the world..could be, could not be....Seems small for a pipe fitting, though it's has that dull stained feeling of something copper and doesn't seem like it will shine... It fits on my pinky finger exactly like my wifes wedding ring and my ring is photod for scale... There is a seam of sorts on the ring..the one photo of the ball and all, you can see the backside (inside) of the seam (look relevent to the "14" in my ring) and the other I got lucky with the suns reflection...

I dunno, did they make copper rings ever? What do yall think?

Thanks for looking.
Chitlin

Attachments

• ring.JPG
    ring.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 332
  • ring1.JPG
    ring1.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 329
Re: So, is this a "ring" ring, or just a ring of metal?

Looks like a brass or copper or what have you wedding band...

I absolutely think it's a ring.

Upvote 0

Someone will undoubtedly say it's some type of compression fitting, but it looks like a wedding band to me.

Lonnie

Upvote 0

Yea, fitting is my thought (just cause I aint ever that lucky :'() but then again, it's so small.
I got some super duper calipers and the survey says, .1 mm thick and .5 mm wide.. about 1/16" by 3/16", inside diameter "roughly" 1.7mm, outside diameter just shy of 2 mm.... 11/16" inside by 13/16" out.... found that brass nail a few hundred feet away from the ring but not much other debris in the area...
Thought for sure we'd find at least one button with all the bullets, but no buttons.

Upvote 0

I found this on Saturday, but it kinda looks like yours... but obviously crushed almost flat. The outside is rounded though like a ring... and it seems to be the diameter of a ring, if it weren't flattened.

I definitely think yours is a ring though for sure!!

Bran <><

Attachments

• DSCF8165.JPG
    DSCF8165.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 308
  • DSCF8166.JPG
    DSCF8166.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 313
  • DSCF8167.JPG
    DSCF8167.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 310
Upvote 0

The ring fits... the fitting is for size, prolly a garden hose deal from the late 1800s.

Mega soldier activity from 1860s to 1890s.

rings.JPG

Upvote 0

it looks like a ring to me..but I would really clean it up well just to see it better... am dying to know for sure..

Upvote 0

It is a ring. Poorer people do buy gold or silver plated rings. The bit about spending 6 to 8 weeks of pay on a ring does not go well with some.

Ed D.

Upvote 0

i found 3 or 4 of those on my site they dates back to early 1800s ...i believe its a poor man ring . those who didn't have gold used other metal . so people were so poor . that they used anything they found . ....I'm sure its a ring ....Alfonso

Upvote 0

I believe without a doubt it is a wedding band type ring, perhaps gold plated at one time. I have found many, I included a photo of some of them and one 14k one with it, all found at homesteads in the woods. Most appear to have been gold plated.

I go along with Alfonso on poor man's band, since the vast majority of the population in the mid to late 1800' up to WW2 era were poor folks in our area. Thus the rings were either just copper of gold plated copper.

Wedding bands for the husband is relatively new, it is believed to have only started in the mid 1800 era for men and became just about "mandatory" ::) in USA by WW2.

I have found one woman's handmade silver wedding band that I am fairly certain is from the 1700's, since it was found deep in a hole dug by me sitting next to a 1779 Spanish Half Real. :)

Bootybay is right, I bet a lot of them could be polished and look fairly decent when done.

Don

Attachments

• Weddingbands.jpg
    Weddingbands.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 241
Upvote 0

Sweet.... so now I can say, "I found my first ring"..... 8)

Upvote 0

Looks like a wedding ring to me too. Like someone else said the poor had to make do with what materials they had .
Congrats on your find!

Upvote 0

i have found copper rings at 1800's sites, although not nearly as many as Don. It is a ring for sure!

Upvote 0

Oh sure. When I found one (see center of image) everyone was all "It's a pipe fitting that slipped outside a copper pipe and the Acme-Jabonie -Union clamp screwed over it for a seal." :D

Attachments

• HPIM0148.jpg
    HPIM0148.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 198
  • HPIM0148.jpg
    HPIM0148.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 194
Upvote 0

I'm gonna go eat worms. :'(

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back