So i think i have something AWESOME! and it was in my yard!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quick 45 minutes in my yard digging the iffy signals, most were junk but I managed 3 wheats, a thimble, and this very cool looking button thing? SAM_0802.JPGI need some experts to weigh in on it, the pics are front and back, before and after cleaning, dirt 1.JPGdirt 2.JPGclean 2.JPGclean 1.JPGit has cross cannons, with some sort of shield on the middle. the back is on a screw type device, it looks as if it can be screwed off? please guys any help is appreciated. Thanks for looking and HH!!

Upvote 5
Wow... that looks Rev. War to me....you'll get an I.D. in no time...

I am no expert, but looks like Coastal Artillery Corps collar disk from WWI. I would wait until someone with more knowledge chimes in though, but that is my guess. Nice job.

yes. collar disc, Coastal Artillery

Thought you might be interested in more-specific dating of your US Army Coast Artillery color-insignia disc. Because it has a screw-post on its back (for attaching to the uniform's collar), AND it has an "applied" emblem, it dates strictly from 1937 to 1943. I should mention, 1943-and-later discs also have an "applied" emblem but were made with clutch-pins on the back, not a screw-post. Go to the following webpage and scroll a bit less than halfway down it to "Type 3 Disks 1937-43". There's also lots of other good info (with many photos) about time-dating US Army collar-insignia discs there.
Dating Metallic Insignia: Collar Disks

Great find, I love it!

Thought you might be interested in more-specific dating of your US Army Coast Artillery color-insignia disc. Because it has a screw-post on its back (for attaching to the uniform's collar), AND it has an "applied" emblem, it dates strictly from 1937 to 1943. I should mention, 1943-and-later discs also have an "applied" emblem but were made with clutch-pins on the back, not a screw-post. Go to the following webpage and scroll a bit less than halfway down it to "Type 3 Disks 1937-43". There's also lots of other good info (with many photos) about time-dating US Army collar-insignia discs there.
Dating Metallic Insignia: Collar Disks
wow what an informative site, thanks!!

That really is cool, Cjon. Those crossed cannons would have excited me!

That really is cool, Cjon. Those crossed cannons would have excited me!

thanks yeah when I first made the post I had no idea what I had turns out it's a world war 2 1937 to 1943 collar disc still cool nonetheless I thought it was much older

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back