So I finally got a Roman Silver Coin 128AD!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's right - a Hadrian Denarius Roman Silver 128AD Coin. It took me a very long time. But I searched, and dug, and dreamed of finding just one Roman silver coin.

It was looking all but impossible here in the US. And certainly a trip to UK was considered. Maybe hookup with Chill Bill or West County Clegg, or The Scottish Detectorist. I watch them all on Youtube. And then I realized that was not likely to be. I did see recently on Youtube that one of Quarter Hoarder's regular hunters found a Roman coin - good ole Charlie Harley (congrats BTW). Somehow, I don't think that will be my luck to find a coin such as this in a field in US. But I've had my share of luck with finds in the field many will never come across etc.

So for my 69th birthday, I purchased one online! It's a beautiful coin and to hold something in your hand that dates back almost 2000 years is pretty amazing. It is in FINE condition, and I'm really glad that I finally got a Roman Silver Coin! :)
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Final thought: if you have some bucket list coin, and there is slim change you will ever get to dig one, and you can afford to buy it - just buy it. :)

Obverse: HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS P P, laureate head right
Reverse: COS III, Victory seated left, holding wreath and palm
Date: c. 128-129 A.D.
Composition: Silver, 18.5mm diameter, 2.94g weight

Considered by historians one of the “Five Good Emperors,” Hadrian was a military leader and politician during the reign of his predecessor Trajan. While on his deathbed Trajan adopted Hadrian as his heir, possibly due to the interceding of his wife, a close friend of Hadrian’s. Hadrian’s reign was largely marked by peace throughout the Empire. He abandoned some of Trajan’s more indefensible military conquests, and built a notable wall along the northern border of the Empire in Britain.

Hadrian was the first emperor to spend most of his time outside of Rome, traveling through the Empire. He brought a large team of architects and builders with him and initiated significant infrastructural improvements in many of the places he visited, along with large investments and patronage of the arts and academics. He had a particular passion for Greek culture (and Greek men), and his thick beard broke with the Roman tradition of clean-shaven men. He was openly homosexual, which was less controversial for the Romans than his beard. Shortly before he died of heart failure, Hadrian adopted future emperor Antoninus Pius on the condition that Pius adopt (i.e. make heir) future emperors Lucius Verus and Marcus Aurelius. He thus ensured a stable succession and relative peace for 50 more years, until the reign of Commodus."

Attachments

• Hadrian Denarius Roman Silver Coin 128AD (1).jpg
    Hadrian Denarius Roman Silver Coin 128AD (1).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Hadrian Denarius Roman Silver Coin 128AD (2).jpg
    Hadrian Denarius Roman Silver Coin 128AD (2).jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 24
That's right - a Hadrian Denarius Roman Silver 128AD Coin. It took me a very long time. But I searched, and dug, and dreamed of finding just one Roman silver coin.

It was looking all but impossible here in the US. And certainly a trip to UK was considered. Maybe hookup with Chill Bill or West County Clegg, or The Scottish Detectorist. I watch them all on Youtube. And then I realized that was not likely to be. I did see recently on Youtube that one of Quarter Hoarder's regular hunters found a Roman coin - good ole Charlie Harley (congrats BTW). Somehow, I don't think that will be my luck to find a coin such as this in a field in US. But I've had my share of luck with finds in the field many will never come across etc.

So for my 69th birthday, I purchased one online! It's a beautiful coin and to hold something in your hand that dates back almost 2000 years is pretty amazing. It is in FINE condition, and I'm really glad that I finally got a Roman Silver Coin! :)
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Final thought: if you have some bucket list coin, and there is slim change you will ever get to dig one, and you can afford to buy it - just buy it. :)

Obverse: HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS P P, laureate head right
Reverse: COS III, Victory seated left, holding wreath and palm
Date: c. 128-129 A.D.
Composition: Silver, 18.5mm diameter, 2.94g weight

Considered by historians one of the “Five Good Emperors,” Hadrian was a military leader and politician during the reign of his predecessor Trajan. While on his deathbed Trajan adopted Hadrian as his heir, possibly due to the interceding of his wife, a close friend of Hadrian’s. Hadrian’s reign was largely marked by peace throughout the Empire. He abandoned some of Trajan’s more indefensible military conquests, and built a notable wall along the northern border of the Empire in Britain.

Hadrian was the first emperor to spend most of his time outside of Rome, traveling through the Empire. He brought a large team of architects and builders with him and initiated significant infrastructural improvements in many of the places he visited, along with large investments and patronage of the arts and academics. He had a particular passion for Greek culture (and Greek men), and his thick beard broke with the Roman tradition of clean-shaven men. He was openly homosexual, which was less controversial for the Romans than his beard. Shortly before he died of heart failure, Hadrian adopted future emperor Antoninus Pius on the condition that Pius adopt (i.e. make heir) future emperors Lucius Verus and Marcus Aurelius. He thus ensured a stable succession and relative peace for 50 more years, until the reign of Commodus."
Yep, happy birthday and why not.
Better a bird in the hand than two in the bush.

Well done you filling on the bucket list.
Happy (flipping) Birthday.
No matter how you flip it, it's still 69.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back