So...dug 20 intact bottles 1920-1940's, BUT landowner tells me where the cesspool was dig it?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave all the bottles but 3 to the landowner. They have a lot of stuff. They suggested an old foundation to dig and it was jam packed with bottles. I'll get pics tomorrow. Right now they're outside in a bucket in the pouring rain. I only dug a hole maybe 24" x 18" and down a foot. PACKED!

So...they told me where the cesspool used to be, before 1980 that is, and the land is gradually sinking there. House was originally a hotel and built by 1750. Should I did the cesspool up? May have also been where the old privies were. Any lurking dangers? Have carte blanche to dig whenever I feel like it.

ALWAYS get permission...

Upvote 10
Maybe you should probe it first....see if you can hear the crunch of glass. It could help you narrow down the best most likely spot to dig !!

I do have a probe. We got maybe 4 inches of rain last night. Going to snow next week.

So the term "cesspool" was an actual septic tank/drainage for sewage?

Maryland has all the good stuff....Love ya Smokey...

Last edited:
There is a modern septic tank nearby. This was something older.
IMG_5781.JPG
IMG_5778.JPG

Ok, so the old toad couldn't get the verbiage on the same page as the photos. First bottle on left is Log Cabin Syrup, embossed in glass on bottom, what, 1930-40's. Second is 1920's Penick & Ford Ltd maple syrup bottle and third a pressed glass tumbler, probably 1890-1940. Bottom pic is bottles literally scattered all over. The big grass plug on the right showed the ENTIRE SIZE of the hole. They were all on top of each other not more than 5" down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back